Thanks to every one of you who responded to my target. This does not
surprise me but did warm my heart...I had a wonderful response to my
query for heartwarming books. I was reminded of some books, and am dying
to get to a book store or library for some of the others. I am sending
along responses in several posts, due to length. Thanks again so very,
very much!--Mary Ann

Here goes the first list:
These titles were mentioned by several people:

Tending Roses, by Kate Wingate
Chicken Soup books
Keeping Christmas by John Grisham
Let’s Roll by Lisa Beamer
Books by James Patterson
Cold Sassy Tree
The Education of Little Tree
Tuesdays with Morrie
All books by Fannie Flagg
Books by Nicholas Sparks
Ya-Ya books

"The Pact: Three Young Men Make a Promise and Fulfill a Dream" by
Sampson Davis, George Jenkins, & Rameck Hunt

A Smile As Big As the Moon:  A Teacher, His Class and Their
Unforgettable  Journey
*****************
Besides being a football coach at his Michigan High School, Mike Kersjes
taught special education classes, dealing with children whose
disabilities included Tourette syndrome, Downs Syndrome, dyslexia,
eating disorders and a
variety of emotional problems.

One autumn Kersjes got the outlandish idea that his students would
benefit from going to Space Camp, where, in conjunction with NASA, high
school students compete in a variety of activities similar to those
experienced by astronauts in training for space shuttle missions. There
was only one problem: this program had been specifically designed for
gifted and talented students, the best and the brightest from America's
most privileged high schools.

Kersjes believed that, given a chance, his kids could do as well as
anybody, and with remarkable persistence broke down one barrier after
another, from his own principal's office to the inner sanctum of NASA,
until Space Camp opened its doors, on an experimental basis, to special
ed students.

After nine months of rigorous preparation, during which the class molded
itself into a working team, they arrived at Space Camp, where they
turned in a performance so startling, so surprising, that it will leave
the reader breathless. A truly triumphant story of the power of the
human spirit.

For more information about purchasing this book, or information
regarding book signings or appearances, please contact:

Michael Kersjes
E-mail:  spaceisspecial@aol.com
****************
How about "I thought my father was God"  A series of short stories from
NPR
**************
A Southern Belle Primer: Or Why Princess Margaret Will Never Be a Kappa
Kappa Gamma  by Marilyn Schwartz--I believe Marilyn Schwartz is a Texas
author.
*************
Having Our Say: The Delany Sister's First 100 Years By Sarah Louise
Delany
*************
I recently read No Way To Treat a First Lady by Christopher Buckley.
It's really funny; the friends I've recommended it to also found it
funny.  Some parts are a little risque, but the political humor is
great!
*************
I would recommend ONCE UPON A TOWN by Bob Greene. Someone on the
listserv recommended it to me during Christmas. It's about the
selflessness of people of the North Platte, Nebraska area during WWII.
As the troop trains passed from east to west and back again all during
the war and in spite of war curtailments, the people met each train and
fed and cheered on the troops. (Really sweet and especially poignant
with our world situation.)
**************
Do you have Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillo on your list? It's a
terrific book for any age!
****************
I Don't Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson is an extremely funny
look at a working mother and it was published in 2002. It made the best
book list of 2002 for NPR's book critic Maureen Corrigan.
Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg
My favorite feel-good books are Jeannie Ray's Julie and Romeo and
Step-Ball-Change (just finished my second reading of it - very humorous)
and Winter Solstice (Pilcher).  Also laughed outloud with the Philip
Gulley books - Home to Harmony and Just shy of Harmony.  Definitely add
these to your list (and maybe post the list when complete?).  Background
- I'm a mystery reader who shys away from fluffy fiction but I do need a
happy ending now and then!!