Here is the final part of the list. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I
am looking forward to sharing these.--Mary Ann

How about <The Education of Little Tree> ? Its a small book about a
native american boy who is taken from his loving grandparents by a
social worker to go to a boarding school for indians which is run by
whites. Its both a sad
and humorous tale of the clash of cultures. Love and family win in the
end. Its one of my favs!
**********
You might add Russell Baker's two books to the heart-warming, but
realistic non-fiction list.  Titles are "Growing Up" and "The Good
Times".  They are nostalgic as well as thought-provoking. Another good
one is David Brinkley's memoirs, but the title escapes me at the moment.

***********
  I highly recommend the picture book Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon, by
Patty Lovell. The story is heartwarming, and the illustrations of David
Catrow add humor.
************
One other title occurred to me after I sent off the Russell Baker
suggestions....and that is Eudora Welty's "One Writer's Beginnings".
This is a slim volume (out in paperback) and with her usual clear,
bell-like style, she recounts her growing up years.  It's a wonderful
read.
***********
Standing in the Rainbow by Fanny Flagg
*************
I just read Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ross and laughed myself
silly.  Look for it at your local
library and see what you think.
****************
GRACE by Jane Roberts Woods is a recent favorite of mine.  I grew up in
a small town in Texas  in the '40's and '50's so this book was
especially close to my heart.   Wood is a very talented writer.
*************
Big Stone Gap, Cherry Creek Holler, and Milk Glass Moon by Adrianna
Trigiani are heartwarmers.  Probably for female audience.  Also Peace
Like a River by Leif Enger.
***********
Ida Mae Tutweiler and the Traveling Tea Party by Ginnie Siena Bivona is
a wonderful book!  It is the story of the friendship of two women that
begins in childhood and lasts into middle age. It is a small paperback
and can be read in an evening.  I have given it to women from their
thirties to their seventies to read and everyone of them has thoroughly
enjoyed it.
************
The Blue Bottle Club is a wonderful, feel good story of four high school
friends and their goals and dreams just before the depression hits.  A
journalist finds the girls sixty years later to see if their dreams came
true.
**********
"Tuesdays with Morrie" and "Bald in the Land of Big Hair" are two
inspirational books that I have read in the last couple of years. They
made me laugh and cry.
**********
Books by Phillip Gulley are very heartwarming & humorous at the same
time, particularly the Harmony books--kind of similar to Karon's Mitford
books.  I'd sure be interested in your list once it's compiled--could
you send me a copy?
*********
Jimmy Buffet's 'A Pirate Looks at Fifty' is hilarious.
Any of James Herriot's books about his life as a country vet are
heart-warming and wonderful.
Walter Kronkite's autobiography.
************
Have you tried Philip Gulley's Front Porch Tales; also Home to Harmony.
Of course, all of Jan Karon's Mitford series;  Tuesdays with Morrie by
Mitch Albom is a bittersweet story;  I loved Ava's Man, a biography of
his
grandfather by Rick Bragg, because it reminded me of my grandfather;
David Baldacci did a real change of pace with Wish You Well;  one of my
favorites is Walking Across Egypt by Clyde Edgerton; it's old, but Sam
Levenson's biography, Everything but Money, was a wonderful book about
growing up poor and not realizing it;  a couple of others that have been
around a while, but are excellent are Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Burns and
I Heard the Owl Call by name by Margaret Craven;  Jerry B. Jenkins's
Hometown Legend is also good.

Not really meant for adult readership, but very readable is Kissing
Doorknobs by Terry Spencer Hesser.  It is about Obsessive/Compulsive
Disorder.  You laugh and you cry, but you understand the condition much
better after you have read it.
**********
I don't know how "liberal" you want your list to me, but I just finished
reading Shop Girl by Steve Martin the comedian.  I roared laughing, but
the "f" word was used rather liberally.
***********
Dr. Bell, nice to hear from you.  Some titles that come to mind are: An
oldie, 84 Charing Cross Rd. by Helene Hanff, My Dog Skip by Willie
Morris, also, My Cat Spit McGee by Willie Morris.  He is an excellent
writer.  Day the World Came  to Town by Jim DeFede tells how the
citizens of Gander, Newfoundland opened their hearts and homes to
passengers on  airliners bound for the U.S. on September 11 when U.S.
airspace was shut down. Also, I loved reading The Professor and the
Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English
Dictionary by Winchester. Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott is a truly
delightful book on writing and life by a lover of books and writing. If
some of the people  were former gardeners they might enjoy America's
Famous and Historic Trees--stories of 17 historic trees and their role
in history.
*********
One book which I have found to be inspirational is THE ART SPIRIT by
Robert Henri, 1865-1929.
ISBN 0-06-430138-9(pbk). This book was written by Henri for his students
to serve as a journal of thoughts, ideas and inspiration. To quote:
"There are moments in our lives, there are moments in a day, when we
seem to see beyond the usual. Such are the moments of greatest
happiness. Such are the moments of our greatest wisdom. If one could but
recall his vision by some sort of sign. It was in this hope that the
arts were invented. Sign-posts on the way to what may be. Sign-posts
toward greater knowledge."
***********
Please look at Educating Esme: Diary of a Teacher's First Year by
Codell. It is a wonderful story about a new, young, vivacious teacher
and her old weary principal.   Teachers will cheer at her methods and
her love for her students.
**********
One other title occurred to me after I sent off the Russell Baker
suggestions....and that is Eudora Welty's "One Writer's Beginnings".
This is a slim volume (out in paperback) and with her usual clear,
bell-like style, she recounts her growing up years.  It's a wonderful
read.
**********
  Once Upon a Town: The Miracle of the North Platte Canteen by Bob
Greene (Hardcover - May 2002)

 This is the story of a very small town that had trains go through it
with troops in WWII and they had a free canteen with food for every
single train that came through from Christmas Eve 1941 til after the way
ended by about 6 months.  No gov't money unless you count the $5 that
FDR sent personally.  Everyone for hundreds of miles around contributed
food, money  and time.  It is a truly amazing story.  Small book, but
powerful.
**************
One series that I am really enjoying and find heartwarming is the Elm
Creek Quilts series. Of course I can't remember the author but they are
wonderful stories, especially as I love to sew and craft and love quilts
and they talk about the messages and reasons for quilts then and now and
how wonderful creating can be. The latest one I read is called "The
Runaway Quilt" and talks about the Underground Railroad.
*************
I don't know a recent funny book, but one of my all time favorites is
Mama Makes Up Her Mind and Other Dangers of Southern Living by  Bailey
White.  I also find Judge Judy's book very humorous.
***********
some suggestions.  The first is Neil Gaiman's "Stardust."  This is a
soft and sweet read about a star which as fallen from the sky and must
get back home.  The second is a series of books that really must be read
in order and are just laugh out loud funny; Janet Evanovich's detective
series which begins with "One for the Money."  There is offensive
language in these books but htey are uproariously funny.  I am also a
big fan of "The Sweet Potato Queen's Book of Love."   Please be aware
that it requires a certain warped sense of humor and perspective on
life.
      Everyone who has lived on a farm or known someone who has lived on
a farm or has ever been very poor needs to read Gary Paulsen's "Harris
and Me"  and Mr. Paulsen's autobiographical works "Puppies, Dogs and
Blue  Northers," "Woodsong," and "Winterdance."  I realize that Mr.
Paulsen is considered a children's or young adult writer but his
autobiographical works are excellent for adult humorous nonfiction. I
would also suggest the Peter Mayle's books about living in Provence,
France.  The first one is "A Year in Provence."  And of course, I can't
remember the second one to save my soul.
************
I just read a book called "The Last Girls" - definitely a chick book,
very loosely based on a true story of a group of girls who built a raft
and floated down the Mississippi River during college.  This books
brings them back as adults; they gather on a riverboat to throw the
ashes of one who died.  If you do a list of books for menopausal women,
this would be a good addition.
How about the "Miss Julia" series by Ann B. Ross. They are similar to
the Mitford books.
********
OK, if you are not concerned about a little "blasphemy" that will have
most readers belly-laughing out loud, suggest LAMB, by Christopher
Moore.