Here is my entry:

Two fourth grade girls come into the library.

"We need to do a report on Black History."

"What do you need to find out about Black History?" I ask.

"I don't know."

" Are you interested in civil rights? Or would  you like to read a
biography?" (I make several suggestions to get some kind of focus here!)

"Oh I guess a biography."

"What person are you interested in?"

"I don't know."

I am SO curious as to why these students were sent to the library! I
should also point out that I had already gathered a collection of Black
History web links, posted them on our library website, demonstrated use
of the website to the fourth grade  teachers, and given the teachers
bookmarks with the web address to hand out to the students. It's all
pretty general since the teachers gave me no real indication of how they
intended to approach Black History month - they just asked for a set of
web links.

I pulled some bios, the girls poked around my web links for a while
finding out who was alive and who wasn't, found their way onto a site
for Princess Diana when I was busy with a parent, and left when their
fifteen minute timer went off. I felt like something of a failure but
sheez can't the teacher give them some idea of what they are supposed to
be writing a report about?!

Cathy

--
Cathy Rettberg, Library Technician, MLIS Student
Brittan Acres Elementary School, San Carlos, CA