Freda, Cecelia C wrote:

>1.  How can I get anti-spam software?
>
>2.  How can I get rid of pop-ups?
>
>3.  How can I get my sister's original poetry bound?
>
>Thank you.
>Ceil Freda
>Middletown HS South
>fredac@middletownk12.org

Hi Ceil.  To answer your first two questions, it depends on whether you
are interested in a client side (PC based) solution or something that
operates on your school/district mail server.  For dealing with spam on
my own computer I have come across two good tools, but they are mail
reader dependant.

1.   The new versions of Netscape (7.1) and Mozilla (1.4) include
Bayesian spam filtering in the mail program.  It not only attempts to
filter spam out of your inbox, but it has a powerful learning algorithm
so that as you mark new spam the program starts to identify spam with
greater accuracy.  Both programs can be downloaded for free at
www.mozilla.org.

1b.  My primary mail program is Eudora, and I have been using the
Spamnix plugin.  (www.spamnix.com).  The new 1.2 version that is in beta
also uses Bayesian strategies and I find that it is now pulling out >95%
of the spam that I receive.  It is nice because you not only train it
with spam, but also train it with mail that is not spam so it learns the
characteristics of your particular email traffic (like the eclectic
LM-NET traffic).

2.  The latest version of Mozilla also includes popup blocking (as well
as image filtering that takes care of a lot of advertising).  I am not
sure if they kept the popup blocking in the Netscape version of the browser.

2b.  In IE I installed the new Google toolbar (toolbar.google.com) --
the beta 2 version includes popup blocking.  I don't use Ie but my wife
does and it make a huge difference in her surfing experience.

All of these are free, so they are worth a look not only for personal
use but also for adoption in schools settings.  There are also some
really good (and free) server implementations of similar spam filtering
technology, if that is more along the lines of what you are interested
in let me know and I will provide information.

Cheers,

--chris