I know many of us have been looking for the right way to set up a book
club for our students. Here is the structure I plan to use this year:

BookSplash will be more of a year-long event than a tightly structured
club.
There are no dues or membership requirements.
There will be a lot of splashy publicity for the event. <g>
Any student who chooses to read a book from the library for personal
pleasure/growth rather than a class assignment is eligible to
participate in BookSplash.
Points will be awarded for the following:

Checking out a book - 1 point
Preparing a brief presentation about a book for GNN2 (our school news
show) - 10 points
Attending a round table discussion session (to be held once a month) - 5
points
Writing a book talk for use on our web site - 5 points
Reading books of different genres (Student must identify the genre) - 5
points per genre
Reading books written by authors of different nationalities or books set
in different cultures (Student must identify the nationality/culture) -
5 points per nationality/culture
Preparing an art work based on a book for display, or use on our web
site or GNN2 - 10 points
Personal research done to help in understanding ideas from the book
(informal citing of sources required) - 5 points

Prizes will be given each six-weeks to the top four point winners (1st
place through Honorable Mention). Students will select their prize from
a catalog that shows prizes that can be redeemed for how well they
placed and for a certain number of points (sort of like Green Stamps for
those of you who remember that far back). All participants can
accumulate points over the course of the year to be used for prize
redemption. Prizes will include gift cards to our local book store, gift
certificates to Amazon.com, bookmarks, school supplies, coffee mugs,
mini-calendars, and anything I can get merchants to donate.

Every student who participates will receive a certificate at the end of
the six-weeks honoring their achievement in reading.

I'm interested to know what others on LM_Net think of this idea, and
would love to hear ways that I can improve it.

TIA!

Deb Waugh
Librarian/Instructional Technologist
The Emmett G. Shufflebarger Library