Being somewhat prejudiced since I have an MLS, have been a school
librarian, and now work for a company producing print and electronic
indexes and databases... I feel that any school offering distance
education should allow those students the same access to electronic
resources as a student physically on campus. There might be a few
exceptions, but they would be rare.

What should a degree granting insitution with no set base do? I feel
they should have a central electronic library with the resources
needed to support their courses of study. Students would be able to
use it and be authenicated as legitimate students. After all, if they
can take money for tuition, and keep track of grades, they have a
means of identifying their students.

In the same light, any student taking courses for a degree should
have access the the electronic resources of the library from remote
locations. Remote access isn't hard anymore, and setting it up is
usually easy. All it takes is a bit of effort on the part of the
library's technical folk and the vendor's technical folk. I won't go
into details, but the keywords for those who want to know more are
'proxy servers'.

Dan Robinson
HW Wilson Company
Bronx, NY