Yes of course a "virtual library" would be a mandate -- I totally
agree.  Would that qualify as "a library" in the eyes of a state
department of education?

In my limited experience -- those "brick and mortar" colleges often
have a difficult time figuring out how to allow their "virtual"
students access to the already existing electronic sources at their
library -- including e-books they have purchased.

It might seem to me that a "virtual library" might be constructed by
some entity.  Wouldn't that be a boon to distance learning.
Subscription fees would be based on the number of virtual students
enrolled in the library.  Imagine access to e-books, electronic
databases, etc.
Sharron

Sharron L. McElmeel
Writer/Webkeeper/Educational Consultant