I used the Yacker Tracker for the first several months when I arrived at a
middle school library.  Of course, first I had to introduce it, and allow
every class to the opportunity to create a bunch of noise and see what
happened.  I turned the alarm buzzer off, though.  Placed strategically so
it could be seen by almost everyone in the library, it was a guide.  I could
walk up to a group of noisy students and point to the device which was on
red, and they would know it was time to lower their voices.  I never
expected complete silence.  It can be adjusted so you determine the decibels
needed for the light to turn red.  Of course, anyone very close to the
device talking in a normal voice would necessarily make it turn red, and I
explained that to the students, especially since when I was addressing the
entire group, my voice would make it turn red!

It worked well for me for a while.  However, when we moved to a newer and
larger library, I could not find a good place to put it, and it is stored
away.

How effective it will be for you depends on how you introduce it and use it.
I liked it because I could just point to it and not have to spend my voice
and time scolding kids.   I often found that kids would glance at it and
self-discipline themselves.  That was my purpose in using it.

Sharon Gonzalez
Librarian
Connell Middle School
San Antonio, TX