First of all, THANK YOU to all you responded with such good ideas!!!  By the
way, I emailed your responses (including that I asked my LM_NET friends) to
the asst. superuintendent and accepted the  library job yesterday!!!  I am
leaving my classroom teaching position and entering the library position
with great enthusiasum!!  Thank you again!!!

Here are the responses I received:

My question: I interviewed for a K-5 library position and one question they
asked was with the No child left behind act and how, as the librarian, could
I help the students score good on their math assessments?
This question stumped me and now I would like to see if anyone has any good
ideas or thoughts on answering this kind of question.

Kids who read of their own free will score better on all tests not just
reading ones. You cannot do any other test unless you can read and
comprehend. Encourage free reading, read to them, develop exercises that
stimulate higher order thinking skills for evaluative and comparative
activities and they will do better on math tests.
Reading comprehension would be a start - kids who are good at reading
comprehension will do better on some math problems.
One way that you could help is to increase the number of math related books
in your collection. There are some good new things that fit in the 513s now.
Make available websites that focus on math to the teachers and students.
For what it's worth, there is a list of books that math teacher
extraordinaire Kay Tolliver (of "The Eddie Files," and "Good Morning Miss
Tolliver" math video series) has identified as supporting math instruction.
I'll have to check my files at school ('cause I don't have the website handy
at home). I have copied the list and distributed it to teachers to support
their math instruction, plus using the books as read-alouds to younger
students. Any books you can read aloud or "book talk" that deal with
counting, fractions, measurement, etc. will support math instruction.
http://www.nesdec.org/teacher_resource_center/toliver_suggested_readings.html

How about our problem-solving techniques such as BigSix or FlipIt? You can
also look at our organizational techniques in using the lmc materials and
the electronic resources.
I would say that I would study the state and national math standards and use
that knowledge to guide my purchasing of books for the math area. The AIMS
math approach is a great way to integrate math, science, and other areas.
Also, look into taking some of the PBS modules in math and technology from
your local PBS affiliate (Pubic Broadcasting Station) because they offer
several in the Austin, TX area that have helped me to learn more about math
standards and ways I can integrate storytimes and literature with math.

Wendy Morris
K-5 Librarian
McPherson, KS
tlbreezy@hotmail.com