Date:    Wed, 4 Jun 2003 15:06:33 -0400
> From:    Jacqueline Henry <JHenry@GANANDA.ORG>
> Subject: Target: Teaching email ettiquette etc.
>
> We are working on curriculum maps district wide.  Although we teach =
> business and friendly letter protocols, etiquette etc., nothing is being =
> done about email correspondence.  We do not provide student email accounts =
> and some of the teachers see that as a reason why we cannot teach it.  =
> However, I think we can find some sort of "workaround" for that and I feel =
> that we should be teaching the students how to write a business email as =
> well as a friendly email.  As you have probably noticed, "chat room" =
> language and emoticons has worked its way into student writing.  I feel =
> that if we do not teach them when to use chat-room lingo and when not to =
> and how to write a professional email, that they will be a disadvantage =
> when they get into the work world.  Just as much as if parents did not =
> teach basic table manners.
>
> Does anyone know of a site where we can find curriculum and lesson plans =
> about teaching these skills?  Do you know any books that we could buy?
>
> Thanks in advance for all the replies I know I will get.  In the interest =
> of time, I will not reply individually - but I WILL post a hit.
>
> Jacquie
>
> "All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost"
> J.R.R. Tolkien

Having wandered through the fields of special education (behavior concerns),
law, and technology planning, sometimes thinking I was lost, I have arrived
with a career focus on the safe and responsible use of the Internet by young
people. My book, Computer Ethics, Etiquette, and Safety for the 21st Century
Student has two chapters that specifically address electronic communications
-- Look Your Best and Remain Cool Under Fire.

My book is published by ISTE (http://www.iste.org -- look in Bookstore).
Anyone coming to NECC, I will be signing copies at 3:00 on Monday at the
ISTE booth. I'd love to meet some LM'ers.

Please forgive the self-promotion.

Nancy

Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.

Center for Advanced Technology in Education
University of Oregon, College of Education
E-mail: nwillard@oregon.uoregon.edu

Responsible Netizen Institute
URL:http://responsiblenetizen.org