>It is our responsibility to inform them and to develop an advocacy program
and not
 complain about their lack of education.

Sorry, but this is NOT our responsibility - when does the janitor, the
bursar, the classroom teacher have to teach the principal what they do?
Principals and principals' associations have the responsibility to educate
themselves and each other if they don't already know and they should be
approaching bodies like ASLA and ALA to do it.  They ARE principals, they
SHOULD know and if they don't, then as professionals in that role, they need
to take responsibility for finding out.    If we don't complain about their
lack of education, how will the standards of principal improve?  Or maybe
principals in some places are seen as demi-gods whose coat-tails must be
licked and who expect staff to tug their forelocks as they go by.  Doesn't
happen here!  Some of my best friends are principals :>}

I am so SICK of hearing that we have to justify our position in the school
and advocate our role that it is the focus of an article I am writing for
Teacher-Librarian!

Yes, I have read Gary Hartzell and others, and heard them speak, and they
make excellent suggestions about what we can do and do do. But it angers me
that we have to - in the name of justification.  I do some of them in the
name of communication.  I am too busy doing my job to be a one-man band.

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher-Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School