I've just done the opposite of this in my library.  I've moved all of the
fiction back into one gigantic section.  The reasons where pretty simple and
yet frustrating too.

I work in a 5-12-grade library where (before I came) the fiction was
separated into two different areas of the library.  Those materials
"appropriate" for grades 5-8 and those materials that are "appropriate" for
grades 9-12.

This situation bothered me for various reasons.  The first was that I felt
that the library was "censoring" based upon reasons that were being
determined (in the past) by the library assistant (who cataloged the
books--no longer a problem....see previous posts).  The second was that more
and more materials that we received were being "censored" by the library
assistant, who determined that today's writing was too harsh for our
students.  (Topics such as death, dying, drug abuse, pregnancy, divorce,
racial topics, gay and lesbian issues, and use of language were automatic
removals from the 5-8 grade levels....in fact, the Harry Potter books were
completely removed from the shelves when I arrived--witchcraft, you know --
and were placed in the "back room" while dummy books were on the shelves.
This required a student to get the dummy book, take it to the circulation
desk for interrogation, and then perhaps be allowed to check it
out....needless to say, the HP books were the first thing I put back out on
the shelves...and to voice my disapproval of the policy, a "witchy HP"
poster was placed for all to see just inside my office door...the only wall
space available at the time....just to liven up the conversation!)

I found throughout the year that various authors' works and popular series
were "broken apart" which appeared to the students as "missing"---this was
frustrating to the students and annoying to me because I had to search two
places to locate an author or a series of books.  (I found many Anne
McCaffrey, M.E. Kerr, J.R.R. Tolkien, Robert Cormier, Joan Bauer, and even
Mel Glenn books in two different locations without a real "reason" aside
from the assistant librarian's personal opinion of what was appropriate to
specific students.)

As the year went by, I found that many of the students did not even know
that the "upper level" of fiction existed (because it was hidden in the
corner of the library--despite my orientation efforts to describe where
things were located, as well as signage that was apparent).  In addition,
since this area was the most neglected area in the past (we had some serious
"outdated fiction"), many students would not use it because it appeared
"old" and "outdated"...even though there were some newer titles scattered
within the shelves.   The only students who seemed to notice that new books
were there were the 5th-6th graders who ventured over to the section to
"find" books that were considered more adult-level.

Although my assistant would interrogate every student who chose a book that
appeared to be inappropriate for them and refused to allow them to check it
out without a parent's written approval, I often did just the
opposite--which was funny, because I got all of the students who had been
told "no" by my assistant.  They would slip into my office and ask me
personally if they could check out specific books---most were 8th graders!!
In fact, as I checked out the material, I would discuss the book and let
them know that there were some areas in the book that were either very
graphic or that were shocking (even to me) and that if they felt that it was
"too much" that they were welcome to bring it back sooner and exchange it.
Most of the students read their books and some were "giggly" about the
topics, but overall, I tried to give them the opportunity to venture into
materials that they wanted to learn about without feeling that they needed
to be protected from words on a page.  The best feeling was when they would
bring back their books (to me personally, again) and I would discuss the
book with them.  We would talk about issues, conflicts, personalities of
characters...and future series or books like the one just read.  (It was
amazing the kinds of students I "found" who attended our private
school...."gee, they're just like the kids in public schools...they have
problems, think about love,... death,... divorce...some even dress in black
(Gothic) with black lipstick when we have out-of-uniform days....imagine
that!?"

Right now I have finished removing all of the books from the shelves,
reviewed them against appropriate selection tools, discarded tons of
outdated '60's and '70's books, and have integrated all of them into one
section.  There are some pretty funny shelving situations--- seeing James
Patterson books alongside some Katherine Paterson books-- but I think that
the students will enjoy knowing exactly what books we have on the shelves.
I know that I love seeing an entire series on the shelf now!

To help students adjust to the new layout this year, I plan to place more
emphasis on selecting books based upon reading interests and abilities
rather than on things like Accelerated Reader (which we've ended -- see

I know it sounds rebellious in some ways, but I think that if we continue to
take away the responsibilities that students must learn in school --
including choices in reading materials -- we create mindless individuals who
cannot think for themselves, let alone make decisions.  I believe that
guidance is the most important thing, but with that guidance comes
responsibility that we give students to make the correct choices based upon
their own situations.  Parents are a part of that guidance and they should
be the first ones to step-in to assist in making some reading choices, but I
refuse to stop a student from reading a book on the library shelves just
because it goes against my personal views.

Part of my professional responsibility is to choose materials based upon
community standards and educational curriculum.  I know that my choices are
based upon my research,the use of proper selection tools, and the policies
developed for our library.  By placing materials in various sections of the
library to restrict students from accessing them, I have become a hypocrite
and a censor (and I've gone against my professional ethics).

Just my thoughts  ( I'll let you know how things go this year with the new
"library layout"....!)

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX