Here is the second part of my post... Esther
  We have a copy machine in the library. Couldn't live without one.=20
We do not charge the students to make copies.  I tell them that as=20
long as they don't abuse the privilege and they use it for school use
there will be no cost. The same for the printers for the computers.=20
    The school has a contract with a local company, I'm not sure=20
which one, so all copies are the same cost no matter what copier=20
you use, except for the color copier, which is in the career graphics=20
program and is 16 cents per copy.=20
-------

This library (in an independent school serving grades 6-12) has housed a =

photocopy machine for about 12 years.  The student government students=20
arranged to have it placed in the library so it would be available to =
everyone=20
at all times.  Students use it 90% of the time, but when the faculty=20
machine is down, they visit also. =20

The school pays for the machine, maintenance contract, paper, and toner. =
=20
We help students learn to operate and service it.  The library staff can =

make all the copies we need.  Several years ago the machine wore out and =

we were able to choose the new machine.  We selected a very simple=20
model and had many of the special features turned off electronically by =
the=20
vendor.  (no stapling, double sided copying)  We post simple =
instructions=20
for double sided copying on the top of the machine.  We found with 500=20
people using the machine, we don't have time to teach each student the=20
special features and these extra features also make the machine jam more =

often. =20

When the library was remodelled recently, we created a area for the=20
machine which includes a countertop for work space.  Under the counter=20
are cupboards in which we store a large supply of paper.  The students=20
become skilled at filling the machine with paper, so we seldom have to=20
bother with that.  On the counter we keep staplers, tape, 3-hold punch,=20
scissors, pencil sharpner, etc - basically office supplies.  This can be =
a=20
problem when the students take the supplies from the library.  Then we =
put=20
an announcement in the daily news that the library no longer has =
staplers=20
to lend until ours are returned.  And then we do not lend the students =
the=20
staplers from our desks and keep those hidden in drawers so they don't=20
swipe them. The supplies are boldly marked "library", and the stuff =
usually=20
wanders back after the notice is published.

We post a copyright policy sign above the machine.  The students are=20
instructed the machine is for academic copying only, not fantasy =
football=20
sheets or maps to peoples homes for a party.  There is a large recycling =

barrel by the side of the machine. =20

Previously I was at another independent high school where the library =
also=20
offered a photocopy machine.  There was a rental contract and the=20
students paid $0.05 a copy.  The machine gave change, but often ran out=20
or the students would come with $5 bills that the mchine wouldn't =
change. =20
We spent a lot of time making change.  However, the paper waste was=20
greatly diminished when the students had to pay or at least find change. =
=20

I notice that teachers expectations are different here.  Often the =
teachers=20
ask the students to bring a copy of their outline for everyone in the =
class=20
because they know the students can copy free of charge.

-------

We had a coin op but when it needed repair the company
picked it up stating that they were no longer doing
coin machines.  The kids have missed it.  Please post
a HIT as we need to try and get something back in
here.

-------

Reply to:   RE: Copy machines in the library
Hi Esther- I have a leased machine with a coin/dollar bill device on it.
It is a Ricoh copier. I charge 5cents per copy.  I think it has  cut =
down
on kids ripping pages out of books.=20

-------

We do have a copy mach. in the lib. which is part of a district =
contract.  We have to pay the monthly fee, however, & to help with this, =
we charge $.05 per copy.

-------

Yes, we had a copy machine and it was wonderful.  It saved vandalism re=20
ref books.  We also let our ref books circulate overnight.  Coin =
operated=20
and 5 cents a page.  The monies paid for repairs and replacement/update =
of=20
machine.  Original was a school machine that was no longer going to be=20
used in an office hence "given" to us.  It was located just back of the=20
circ desk where it waas visible all the time and if a student needed =
help=20
was easy to assist.=20

-------

The school purchased ours. Actually they made a deal for the large =
office machine and asked if they would give us a refurbished one at =
cost. We charge 15 cents per copy - and we can keep the money. I do have =
an over-ride key as well.

-------

This is the first year I have had a copier in the library. It is one of =
the
oldest machines in the building, but still works. I don't know if the =
school
has bought it outright though. They probably did and are paying for the
service contract, because I recently had a problem with the add/paper =
tray
on it and they came right in.

I do not charge for copies. Students use it for copying pages out of =
books,
teachers come in to use it if the one in the teachers' room is not =
available
and I use it for book fair flyers, puzzles and letters to parents.

My copier is a Canon and has been pretty reliable.

-------

We had no money in the budget for a copier but students had no place to =
make
copies.
We contacted a number of copy centers and finally found one who offered =
bring out a  machine to our school on a trial basis. It was an older =
model
left over from a nearby university.
    This was 15 years ago and they have replaced the copier over time, =
making
service calls when needed. We supply the paper and they collect the =
money.
They probably only make $40-60/month on it but it is a wonderful =
solution.
    At first, there was no coin-op box on it and we collected the money =
for
them. Insist on a coin box. It's the teachers not the students who will =
try
to make free copies!!
    If you alllow freebies, then you will have to come up with a budget =
of
some kind.

-------

 had to respond to your query for two reasons. First because I have an
experience which may help, and second because I went to your school. I =
was
in the first group of students when it opened as a junior high school, =
and
therefore the first graduating class. The building must be very old. :-(

When I was a high school librarian, our old coin-op student copier, =
which we
owned, died (this was in 1998). When we looked at replacing it, we
discovered that our kids did not make enough copies to cover the cost of =
the
contract for a new one (or we would have had to increase the price per =
copy
by a great deal - we were charging 10 cents/page). Since kids were doing
more printing from the computers (which we did not charge for) then and =
that
would have increased exponentially by now, we purchased a table top =
copier
for about $400 and put it in a place not readily accessible to kids, and =
did
the copying for them at 10 cents/page. This covered the cost of toner. =
Of
course, I had 2 aides in the library who could deal with this extra job.

My feeling is that there should be a student copier in the library, =
separate
from one used by staff and teachers. But I'm not sure if a big =
heavy-duty
one is needed, given the increased use of computer info. You might be =
able
to get away with a table top or small coin-up.

-------

We had a coin operated copy machine in the library for student use.  It =
has
been temporarily removed while we under renovation & are displaced to a =
much
smaller area so I can't tell you the type or name of the company =
providing
it.  I can, however, tell you some things about how it worked.

The library received NO money from the proceeds, everything went to the
vendor.  He provided paper, toner, and whatever supplies needed.  We =
just
provided the space & electricity.  This sounds pretty good, except that =
on a
daily basis, we would have to perform some sort of service on this =
machine
-- from instruction on how to use it, to clearing jammed paper, to =
listening
to complaints from students that they had lost their money.  I =
personally
think it was a real pain in the neck.  We have a "teacher" copy machine =
in
the library and I am going to advocate that instead of getting the =
vendor's
machine back, we make copies for students, charge them the 10 cents they
would have paid, and keep the money for the school library.

Good luck in your decision.
At my first school (middle school), somehow we got a copier that was no
longer used by district administration. The district administration
agreed to put a coin tower on it. The student council paid for a
maintenence contract and paper on a yearly basis. Any profit from the
machine was forwarded to the student council.

At my second school (a junior high school), I had my assistant solicit a
copy machine. When a vendor agreed to give us a refurbished desktop
copier on a stand, my principal agreed to pay for a coin tower that
accepted only dimes. This worked well.

My present school's principal has put a copier in our media center.
There is some sort of annual payment. I am not too involved. We maintain
the coin tower and the copier and send in information on the number of
copies as we are reminded.

Thanks again. =20

Esther

Esther Lewenstein
I.S. 278 Marine Park
1925 Stuart Street
Brooklyn, NY 11229
718.645.6201
Fax. 718.998.7324
ELewens@nycboe.net
**The opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my =
employer.**