Doug--I agree heartily with your message. It's actually a concern that I've been
wrestling with since this time last year as I planned my purchases for this school
year.

I'm lucky enough to have been able to design our own new library and I think the
choices that I made that have pleased the students the most are the chairs. The
soft seating area chairs are soft and comfortable, "comfy." And the tables all have
Sauder 3-position chairs which I call "teenager chairs." I don't have to tell them
to stop leaning back in their chairs and I don't miss that.

One of the subtle changes I made is a bit different from one of your suggestions. I
took a look at the print magazines and tried to order some that kids would want to
sit and read during free time, cutting some of the more scholarly ones with content
that can be found on the Internet. Transworld Skateboarding and Transworld
Skiboarding are two examples. I did this after observing that the students who
formerly "hung out" in the library are not coming as often, the kids who think they
can find everything on the Internet and whose parents buy them books and magazines.
I do get more "alternative" types and those who don't have as many resources.
That's OK with me.

As far as use of the Internet, my students have to fill out an "Internet Plan"
(adapted from Joyce Valenza's Power Tools)every time they go on the 'Net when not
with a class. They have to log their times, computer number and topic. And
sometimes, it's topics like "Cars" and "sports information." I use a rule that I
heard in, hmmm, a Doug Johnson workshop that if we would let them look up a suject
in our print books or magazines, then it it legitimate for them to look it up
online. I frequently have to remind them of the no games, no e-mail, no chat rule,
but they get it after a while.

I buy more fiction than I used to. Most kids are not ready for e-books and actually
prefer that reading experience you talk about, holding a book.

I'm sure there are MANY more things I can do to make our library the kind of place
that will keep kids going to libraries after they graduate, one of my goals. I hope
that others post suggestions on how to keep your library responsive to the students
and staff and the times. I'll take all the ideas I can get.

Thanks for the "rant." Have to stop to help plan an impromtu party for one of our
teachers, the second in a week, who was called up for active duty in the National
Guard. And the party will be tenth period in the library, of course.

Sara Kelly Johns
Lake Placid Middle/High School
250 Main Street
Lake Placid, NY 12946
518-523-2474, ext. 4132
FAX: 518-523-4861
johns@northnet.org

"The more you read, the more you know..."