Dear Doug
As usual you are spot on!

If you took everything out of my library, you would have a large barn, so
what I have done is partition it into 'rooms' using the shelves (no lines of
stacks here) and so immediately it is more inviting.  This year about a
third of it is for seniors (Yr 5/6) only at lunch time, and they have a
lounge suite, coffee tables, computers, work spaces, their senior fiction
collection AND a loud CD player which is on all the time during lunch break.
Never have I seen so many in there at lunch, and the most unlikely kids!
Chess is popular, some do their homework (and there is research evidence to
suggest that this age group cannot work in silence), others just chat or
read.  But they are there - they are exposed to what we offer and are
forming habits and attitudes about libraries.

The rest of the place is for the littlies and they are always there,
especially in the bean bags or playing chess or drawing or playing schools
or whatever.  The only thing I don't allow is running.  And again - they are
there and exposed to what we offer and are forming their attitudes and
habits.

There are some photos at
http://www.palmdps.act.edu.au/resource_centre/lunchtime/lunchtime.htm taken
18 months ago - I will update these soon!

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher-Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School