I can really relate to this part of Deborah's message:
"some teachers almost seem to resent my ability to
do these things.I sometimes hear  "I wish I HAD TIME to; find web =
pages,read articles etc." Almost as if I am not really working but only =
having fun."

I don't hear this a lot - but....here is what happened the other day that =
really made me upset.  I had been preparing a list of the ALA best books =
and other award books to help our students find interesting books for =
thier book reports.  There were several books on the list that sounded =
like they would be of great interest for our teachers to read as well.  So =
- I started a new service.  From this list, I started to copy/paste 4 or 5 =
book summaries into an email message to go out to all the high school =
faculty. It has generated a lot of intereste amongst faculty and staff who =
have been in checking out books, or putting thier names on the reserve =
lists - everyone from English teachers, to Social Studies and Math etc.  =
However, I was discouraged to receive a reply back to my 3rd list saying =
"Must be nice to have time to read.  I have to spend my prep time entering =
grades into the report card program."  And this was from a teacher who had =
written a week ago to ask me for some leads on good professional magazines =
and websites to recommend to new teachers. She is in charge of mentoring =
new teachers in the district.  I had spent many hours getting suggestions =
together and creating a website for new teachers.  I never got one word of =
thanks for doing it.  AFter gritting my teeth, I decided to send a =
pleasant reply that would get the message across.  I wrote back expressing =
sympathy over the onerous report cards and telling her about several of my =
own onerous tasks, and about how my reading gets done these days in 10 =
minute chunks before falling asleep.  Next time I saw her she was a little =
sheepish and said "I really liked your answer to my email".  Still - it =
gave me pause about how some of my book emails might be perceived.  But - =
I plan to look at the successes, and continue them.  They have really =
brought the English teachers (and other teachers) into our brand new =
library in force and they in turn share what they find with their =
students.

Jacquie

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost"
 J.R.R. Tolkien
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School
Gananda Central School District
3195 Wiedrick Road
Walworth, NY  14568
jhenry@gananda.org
http://www.gananda.org/library/mshslibrary/indexgcl.htm
>>> Deborah Stafford <Deborah_Stafford@COMPUSERVE.COM> 03/08/03 06:06 AM =

Just my thoughts on this.

I suspect most of us work hard on making our libraries warm and =
inviting.=3D
also suspect that many if not most of us are open at lunch. Some of us
cannot be open at lunch due to circumstances beyond our control (lunch =
du=3D
ty
for example). Mine is open at lunch - my two heaviest traffic times are =
t=3D
he
30 minutes before school and at lunch. I enjoyed Barbara's pictures, =
wish=3D
could post as well but we are not allowed to post ANY pictures of =
student=3D
on the web.

I do have one qualification on this idea -- warm inviting places don't
necessarily need a librarian to maintain. One of the other popular =
places=3D

on campus at lunch is the gym where they can play basketball.  At lunch =
t=3D
he
library offers in addition to a warm friendly place to be, a person who =
c=3D
an
help with that last minute project, a printer to print out that report,
some book browsing. My question would be; how can we stress not only the
warm inviting atmosphere but also the expertise and resources available =
i=3D
the room?

Also, like most of us I try to serve the teachers - helping them with
lesson plans, doing some preliminary research, teaching some of the =
lesso=3D
ns
where my expertise comes into play. =3D

One dilemma that I have - some teachers almost seem to resent my ability =
=3D
do these things.I sometimes hear  "I wish I HAD TIME to; find web pages,
read articles etc." Almost as if I am not really working but only having
fun.  I haven't come up with a good elevator speech for this.

Deborah J. Stafford
Gen. H.H. Arnold High School
Wiesbaden Germany
now proudly on the web at http://www.wies-hs.eu.odedodea.edu
Deborah_Stafford@compuserve.com

=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D=