I too agree with Doug and like Sara I have relyed upon the online =
databases to supply much of what we formerly got from magazine subscription=
s.  Now that I don't have to order as many for research I find that I can =
order things like Car & Driver, Motor Trend and the like.  These types of =
magazines really attract the kids that I have noticed are reluctant =
researchers. tThose that don't 'hang' in the library are now here before =
and after school reading the mags. and using the computers and now they =
seen to be more relaxed in the library and unafraid to talk to us when =
they have guestions. I think that has been the greatest payoff I have seen =
from the investment in the online databases.  Anyway, just my observation =
here. Pati=20

>>> Sara Johns <johns@NORTHNET.ORG> 03/07/03 11:44 AM >>>
Doug--I agree heartily with your message. It's actually a concern that =
I've been wrestling with since this time last year as I planned my =
purchases for this school year.

I'm lucky enough to have been able to design our own new library and I =
think the choices that I made that have pleased the students the most are =
the chairs. The soft seating area chairs are soft and comfortable, =
"comfy." And the tables all have Sauder 3-position chairs which I call =
"teenager chairs." I don't have to tell them to stop leaning back in their =
chairs and I don't miss that.

One of the subtle changes I made is a bit different from one of your =
suggestions. I took a look at the print magazines and tried to order some =
that kids would want to sit and read during free time, cutting some of the =
more scholarly ones with content that can be found on the Internet. =
Transworld Skateboarding and Transworld Skiboarding are two examples. I =
did this after observing that the students who formerly "hung out" in the =
library are not coming as often, the kids who think they can find =
everything on the Internet and whose parents buy them books and magazines. =
I do get more "alternative" types and those who don't have as many =
resources. That's OK with me.

As far as use of the Internet, my students have to fill out an "Internet =
Plan" (adapted from Joyce Valenza's Power Tools)every time they go on the =
'Net when not with a class. They have to log their times, computer number =
and topic. And sometimes, it's topics like "Cars" and "sports information."=
 I use a rule that I heard in, hmmm, a Doug Johnson workshop that if we =
would let them look up a suject in our print books or magazines, then it =
it legitimate for them to look it up online. I frequently have to remind =
them of the no games, no e-mail, no chat rule, but they get it after a =
while.

I buy more fiction than I used to. Most kids are not ready for e-books and =
actually prefer that reading experience you talk about, holding a book.

I'm sure there are MANY more things I can do to make our library the kind =
of place that will keep kids going to libraries after they graduate, one =
of my goals. I hope that others post suggestions on how to keep your =
library responsive to the students and staff and the times. I'll take all =
the ideas I can get.

Thanks for the "rant." Have to stop to help plan an impromtu party for one =
of our teachers, the second in a week, who was called up for active duty =
in the National Guard. And the party will be tenth period in the library, =
of course.

Sara Kelly Johns
Lake Placid Middle/High School
250 Main Street
Lake Placid, NY 12946
518-523-2474, ext. 4132
FAX: 518-523-4861
johns@northnet.org

"The more you read, the more you know..."