Rather than lying about your assistant, I would suggest to your principal
that you be allowed to write a job description for your assistant.  This
would detail her work assignments and give you a guideline from which to
evaluate her.  I would also ask that you be allowed to write a procedures
manual which details each person's job in the library, so there is no
mistaking who should be doing what and when.

I would also suggest that you explain to your principal that you would like
to be able to evaluate her honestly, but feel that you had not been given
enough time or notice regarding your input for her employment evaluation
this year.  However, you would be able to give her an appropriate evaluation
next year through the procedures manual and job description guidelines.

Using the Procedures Manual, you should be able to give your assistant the
"head's up" regarding what her responsibilities will be in the library.  You
can go over each area with her regarding what she will be responsible for
and why.  Then you can let her know that you will be evaluating her at the
end of the year based upon these areas.

Just to be fair--and because this is done with teachers in most evaluation
processes-- you should let her know when you might be evaluating her, how
you plan to evaluate her (rubric, notes, etc.), and what her response
options might be.  You should also meet with her before turning in the final
report to your principal, so that there are no surprises and so that she has
an opportunity to respond to specific items in question.   Let her know that
any comments that she would like to attach to the evaluation can be added
before they are sent to the principal.

If this principal truly wants YOU to be the one who is the library
administrator, then he should allow you to be in control of the final
decision regarding your evaluations of employees under your supervision.  If
he disagrees with you, then you should suggest that he evaluate both of you
rather than place you in a situation where you are basically powerless but
now in a uncomfortable situation when an evaluation is given by you and then
reversed or questioned by a "higher authority."

(This type of situation is a NO-WIN one for librarians who must be the
administrator / supervisor of the library but who has no power over their
employee assistants, student workers, or any final decisions made regarding
personnel.)

Just my thoughts....

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian