Several of you asked me to post a hit, so here you go!

Connie,
When we opened up a new school two years ago we worked closely with our
vendor, Follett.  They
have core collection info and we chose that route and then added
everything else we needed.  We
also worked with Gale because so much of our high school reference books
come from there.  I wish you luck. Opening a new school is a real hassle
but also fun and exciting at the same time. I lived in Tustin about 35
years ago and taught in Santa Ana.  Loved the area.
Laurene

-----------------------------
Don't let a jobber sell you a package deal or thier high school
collection.
Use the review sources and pick your own collection.  It takes tons and
tons
of time but you get a much better collection. I did this for an
elementary
school.  I kind of kept track of the hours I donated on the selection
project.  It was well over 100 but the collection was great.  Worth the
time.

Blenda Fields NBCT
Instructional Resources Consultant
Library Media/Textbooks/Instructional Materials
Division of Extended Learning
500 Mero Street
Frankfort, KY 40601
502-564-7056 ext. 4735
FAX 502-564-6952
bfields@kde.state.ky.us

       From:           "Teter, Laurene"
<Laurene_TETER@birdville.k12.tx.us>

Birdville is just east of Ft. Worth, TX.  We are a fairly large district
with around 21,000
students.  We have three high schools.  My budget has been much lower
this year than in the
past.  We had about $26,000 to spend for books.  It used to be about
$50,000.  Bad things are
happening in the state of Texas for education.  We have some people in
the state house who are
proposing all sorts of changes.  The rep in charge of the education
committee really loves
vouchers and is doing all he can to have them.  Our organizations are
working hard to stop
this.  We've had a few victories but some defeats too.
My district is in deep trouble.  We have a 10 million shortfall.  We've
been told we would lose
30 teachers next year!!!! We've always been a district with a great
reputation and many have
longed to work here but now we are having so many problems.  I'm
retiring this year and wasn't really sure I wanted to when I made my
decision but now I realize this is the best time to leave.
L.

    From:           Peter Milbury <pmilbury@ericir.syr.edu>
      To:           Connie Newhan <cnewhan@TUSTIN.K12.CA.US>

Dear Connie,

Congratulations! It is such a wonderful bit of news.

I would urge you to be certain to include a Web collection, to
complement
your physical collection. Since such an enormous amount of research is
done online, it is vital that school libraries use their own Web pages
organize the appropriate sites for stduent learning and assignments.

Good luck!

Peter
I am the media coordinator at Piney Grove Middle School.  We opened a
new
school in 1999.  For print materials, I found that Follett Library Book
Company offered excellent service for setting up a new library.  I used
Titlewave, their on-line database, for choosing books.  The database
allows searches by Dewey, Subject or Keyword and allows you to specify
the number of reviews or specific reviews.  Therefore, you can select
hsitory and High School Catalog (limit by copyright) and pull all the
900's with current copyright that are recommended in Wilson's High
School
Catalog.
I met with our local rep before I started the ordering process and he
gave me lots of help.  He even came to my school when the books were
delivered and helped me put them on the shelf!  I highly recommend
Follett's services!
Sarah Hutchens
Piney Grove Middle School
3415 Piney Grove Church Road
Lawsonville, NC 27022
336-593-4000
I would plan for a presentation area in the library so that you can use
projection equipment
and teach classes.
--
Kathy Geronzin
District Librarian
    From:           "Jacqueline Henry" <JHenry@gananda.org>

I found working with Baker & Taylor to be a real treat.  They went above
and beyond the call ofduty.  Our slaesman rounded up 3 of his colleagues
and they put the books on the shelves withour direction and bought a
pizza lunch for all of us - including the maintenence people who
hadhauled all the boxes from the loading dock and organized them by
"dewey section" - to make theshelving job easier.   I found the
selection tools invaluable.  Our collection is absolutelyfantastic!

One thing i would do differently if I had to do it over.....I would ask
them to send me the
"opening day collection" list in 2 formats - print and computer file.  I
like having the print
version because it was easier to read and mark the items that I wanted.
However, if I had also
asked for it in computer format, I could have deleted the unwanted books
as I went along, and
then I coudl have emailed them the order instead of having to box up the
10 or 12 thick
booklets to get the final quote.I was a nervous wreck until all those
booklets arrived back at
B&T.  If they had been lost in the mail, I would have had to do all that
work over again!  I
could have asked them to send me the collection list in computer format
and they would have
done so,.  But - it took me 18 months to go through the booklets.  By
that time, the opening
day collection list no longer matched the one they had sent me.  At the
end of the 18 months
that it took me to go through the list, adding and subtracting titles, I
smartened up and asked
me to send a list of recommended titles published within the most recent
18 months, so that I
could choose that were right up to the current date.  It was so easy to
print it out and then

I found it easiest to go with the lists in dewey order so that I could
be careful to keep the
collection balanced.

Jacquie

====================================

From Susan Gilmore:

Go to Information Power for direction.

======================================
From David Weinstein:
I found a site that might be of interest to you for a
digital image library.  It is called Educational
Pictures.Here is the press release I received.

    EL-ANNOUNCE: Welcome to Educational Pictures.com
  (Scholarship attached)
    Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 20:38:25 -0800
    From: Peter Milbury pmilbury@pacbell.net

From Jean Gustafson:

I'd say dream!!!

  Sound proof room for video creating and editing.
Computers to do this,
  cameras etc.
  projection unit for the library
  quiet reading soft chairs
  outlets and computer ports all over
  OPAC's (at least 4)
  30 station computer lab, at least one attached to
the   library
  standard programs on the computers:  word
processing,   spreadsheet, database, Netscape and
Explorer, photo    editing   program, paint, all the
attachments for the   internet,
  Lots of shelf space, but still have space for cool
  posters and other art.
  tops of shelves and places that art work from the
art   classes can be displayed.

  Okay, that's all I can think of.

David Lininger

There is a fine line between cutting edge and bleeding
edge, and to some people "state-of-the-art" gets
perilously close to the bleeding edge.
That said, here are my thoughts.

1.  Get information from the office about enrollment
trends so you can plan ahead. If you will be seeing
much larger numbers of students in the future you will
need additional space and resources. If your
enrollment is declining then I'd look at minimum
amounts of space and resources to meet your highest
projected enrollment, which will translate into better
than
minimum numbers when the enrollment declines.

2.  Talk to the curriculum experts in the building
about what is coming, both short term and long term.
This will help you plan for what you need now and what
you will need in the future.

3.  How comfortable are your teachers with the
existing technology? If they are already using the
equipment that is available to them then they will
most likely also use more. If they aren't using what
is available then they are unlikely to use more. On
the other hand, if the administration forces the
issue, then more will be used.

4.  If you have to have firm plans in place before you
have the answers to the questions above it is better
to plan for more rather than less. Use your state
standards to guide you. For example, if you are to
have
seating for 25% of the student body, use the highest
estimate of enrollment to plan for that. Have
sufficient computers available for the largest class
in
the school to all be on computers for research AND
still have some left over for walk-ins. Be sure to
factor in a few computers that are taking the
day off.

5.  Be sure to provide a smart board and/or a marker
board at the front of the computer area for
instruction.

6. From the last two items you can see that adequate
electrical outlets in the proper places are a
necessity. I don't know what your building code
will specify, but I'd try to have outlets all around
the room no more than 8-10 feet apart and also have
some recessed in the floor out in the open areas.
There should also be network connections by each
outlet.

7. Natural lighting vs artificial lighting is
controversial. Ideally you do not want any glare on
computer screens, and sunlight beating on book covers
can fade them in less than a year. Your architect
should be able to help you with sun angles. Some
libraries have found that having a row of windows near
the ceiling works well. This kind of depends on what
exposure your room will have. I wouldn't want to have
a library with NO windows, because when the power goes
off (and it will) it can get REALLY dark there!

I hope this gives you some ideas to think about. Sorry
I don't have any articles or web sites to direct you
to.

From Diane Norby:
A benchmark you might want to consider are the model
site rubrics found at www.mslma.org  Good luck!

From Amy Ojserkis:

Computer Lab either in Library Media center or
adjacent.  We have 3 labs, the one in the LMC is
called the Writing Lab.  We have 26 networked
computers with Office, software such as Inspiration,
Math software,
Accelerated Reader tests.  All workstations are
networked to the Card catalog (Follett) which sits on
our school server.

Also, sign up for online databases for student
research.  We have Ebsco Host, Facts on Foile and
Grolier Suite of online databases.  Two of these are
free thru NJ State Library and Grolier is discounted
thru our regional library cooperative.

We have a good fiction section, with a growing
collection of AR titles.  We have a very strong
reference collection, heavy in history (especially
women history sources) - lots of UXL / Gale sets susch
as Slavery, Civil Rights, Holocaust, Vietnam War, Rev.
War, WWI and WWII).  We have 3 sets of paper
encyclopedias (not used much) and a fair nonfiction
section.  Our nonfiction section is strong in science,
history, biographies (used most by teachers).  Also, i
have strong collection of health (teenage body book)
and self-help titles such as "7 habits of effective
teens, etc, chicken soup books."  I also have strong
arts and crafts and cooking seciton as kids like these
for vacation reading, etc.

Check out our website at:

       www.linwoodschools.org/ojserkis

Also, have a strong website that students can use as a
portal for student research (see link: "Student
Projects" on home page.)  This has been a great
success as a workable webography for students in
school and
from home.

Hope this helps.

We are a 5-8 middle school.