Information Literacy News from the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy
[To subscribe, send an empty message to
infoliteracy-subscribe@iti.cnsnet.imsa.edu.]

Infoliteracy News for May 20, 2003:

1. Summer workshop information and registration
2. New portal content: lesson plans, action research, evaluation examples
3. Next-generation visual search engines
4. Portal updates and changes

1. Summer workshop information and registration

The 21st Century Information Fluency Project and the ISLMA Continuing
Education committee are pleased to announce that the ISLMA summer workshops
this year will be presented in collaboration with IMSA at two locations.
Funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Education, these workshops
are completely FREE to participants. We encourage you to attend with a
collaborating teacher.  ISLMA membership is not a requirement.

Summer ISLMA Continuing Education Workshop
"21st Century Information Literacy"

Wednesday, August 6, 2003, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Illinois Math and Science Academy, Aurora, Illinois
Capacity: 10 teams of 2

Friday, August 8, 2003, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
University High School, Normal, Illinois
Capacity: 10 teams of 2

Information is available online at:
http://wizard.imsa.edu/learn

     * K-12 participants are welcome.
     * The entire workshop, including lunch is FREE.
     * You will earn 7 CPDU's.
     * This workshop meets special education requirements for recertification.

If you are unable to attend one of these sessions check the 21st Century
Information Fluency web site for other dates and times when the workshop
will be offered. Several library systems and ROEs around the state will
present the workshop as well.

Information and online registration for all IMSA 21CIF workshops is
available online at:
http://wizard.imsa.edu/learn/Offrdate.html
This page is always updated with the most recent workshop information.

2. New portal content: lesson plans, action research, evaluation examples

The 21CIF project is happy to announce the availability of new,
standards-aligned content in our portal.  Participants in our lab and
survey courses work with teachers developing and delivering
standards-aligned lessons.  At the end of our lab course participants
complete an action research project addressing their work on
standards-aligned collaboration with faculty.  We are making available both
the action research reports that the librarians have written as well as the
lesson plans that they developed.

Action Research Reports:        http://wizard.imsa.edu/teach/research
21CIF Lesson Plans:             http://wizard.imsa.edu/teach/lessons

Our students also conduct detailed web site evaluations that we use for
discussion and analysis of evaluation strategies.  We are making available
2 expert site evaluations and another dozen student web site evaluations
with commentary.

Web Site Evaluations:           http://wizard.imsa.edu/teach/evaluation
Site Evaluation Wizard: http://wizard.imsa.edu/evaluate

3. Next-generation visual search engines

The future of searching will not only be about text, but will increasingly
rely on visual models to help users understand the distribution of meaning
and relationships between information sources. Find out how one such search
engine may find its way into your school.

http://wizard.imsa.edu/Members/ckolar/News_Item.2003-04-09.3344

4. Portal updates and changes

The 21CIF portal has undergone a few changes since our last newsletter.  In
no particular order:

     * We have rearranged the home page to make it easier to navigate to
portal content areas.  [http://wizard.imsa.edu]
     * We have fixed our metasearch modules, most notably to include
results from the new Yahoo search engine.  [http://wizard.imsa.edu/locate]
     * Removed deprecated tools from the interface if they were no longer
supported by any of our search engines.

Christopher G. Kolar
    Coordinator of Information and Technology Integration
    Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy
  ckolar@imsa.edu  --
<http://staff.imsa.edu/~ckolar>staff.imsa.edu/~ckolar --  PGP Public Key
ID: 0xC6492C72
         Information literacy news, tools, and programs:
<mailto:infoliteracy-subscribe@iti.cnsnet.imsa.edu>infoliteracy-subscribe@iti.cnsnet.imsa.<mailto:infoliteracy-subscribe@iti.cnsnet.imsa.edu>edu