Here are the responses I received regarding justifcation for continuing =
technical support for our library automation system. I can't believe I =
forgot about the free updates :-)!

Many thanks to those who responded.

I use Follett, but one of the things you get with their tech support =
agreement is free software updates.
*****
If you drop tech support and decide you need it at some later date, =
automation companies usually charge you for the lapsed time before they =
will pick up at the current date.  Check with Sagebrush about this.

The investment already made in time and money needs the insurance =
provided by tech support.
*****
Doesn't the Tech Support cost include software updates and new version =
issues as well as problem resolution? Ask Sagebrush how much it would =
cost to purchase an updated version without maintaining Tech Support.
*****
If you do not purchase support for Winnebago, do you have experts in =
databases to bail you out when the system goes down? I would guess you =
don't. (I would quake in my boots without tech support for my catalog =
program.) I have called at least 15 times this year, nothing major but =
last year it was major! I'm not much help, but just want to encourage =
you to get that tech support.
*****
Your reasons are certainly valid!   The only other thing is the cost of =
redoing all of the data!  And of course the business office, =
transportation dept, payroll dept etc certainly must have tech support =
costs--that is the cost of doing business today!
*****
Actually, you can pay-as-you-go for tech support. Two years ago I was =
charged $50 a phone call to Sagebrush for technical questions. After =
submitting P.O.s to pay for it, the administration decided it was better =
to spend the $350 for the year long support.
Without tech support you don't receive any system updates, either.
(NOTE: Actually, Sagebrush no longer offers pay-per-call technical =
support--I called and asked)
*****
With Spectrum support you get all upgrades at no cost.  I'm not sure =
what it would cost otherwise--but Sagebrush can give you that info.=20
(FYI, Spectrum 5.2 is $4995.00)
*****
Do you get free upgrades when you pay your tech support? We do with our =
program (Softlink Alice) and we used this as another reason to justify =
paying the annual support.
*****
When you pay for Winnebago's support that entitles you to free upgrades =
which not only upgrade the program but fixes problems with the older =
edition.
*****
Sagebrush tech will answer questions and walk you through problems with =
the system that are not covered in their manual.=20

Tech support helps you configure your system to do exactly what you want =
it to.  In our case we have three schools, one library, and needed a way =
to sort records by school.
*****
Purchasing the support system means that you get upgrades FREE so that =
your system always stays current.
*****
I too have Sagebrush and have the technical support.  Thank goodness so =
far powers to be have not indicated dropping it.

Another pro:  Our tech people have often called Sagebrush to help them =
with problems that could not be solved easily concerning the Spectrum =
system. They feel they are the experts on the software and therefore =
save them much time, etc.
*****
What about the automatic free updates to the program?  Without the =
updates, your program rapidly becomes obsolete, and it is much harder =
and much more expensive to catch up after you are two or three updates =
behind. Also, servicing the program gets much more difficult when you =
are not on the current version.  Keeping tech support means you are =
always up-to-date.
*****
I would include the value of the inventory your system protects.  Maybe =
include the amount that is checked out at any one time and could =
potentially be lost if the system crashed.
*****
Be sure to address how many students will be without service should your =
library system go down and for how long you might be unable to provide =
service to students.
Also, get hourly charges for independent service support.=20
*****
We have Sagebrush (Athena) and I think another reason would be that =
having the tech support is actually the only way to get the updated =
versions of the system as they come out. I know this is true for us =
anyway.
*****
We often have this discussion here about maintaining tech support. Many =
teacher-librarians say they never call and why should they pay. My =
argument is that it's like have a fire department, you hope you never =
need them, but they are there when you do need them.

Our local tech people are not available 24 hours / day and 7 days / =
week. Tech support for the Alexandria system is available 24 / 7. =
Sometimes you get an answering machine, but they return your call. I =
like the comfort of knowing they are just a phone call away.
*****
Having tech support also entitles you to updates/enhancements of the =
program.
*****
From Sagebrush Corporation:

Sagebrush Corporation is the sole Technical Support source for Winnebago =
Spectrum. The support fee provides you with support for one full year =
and entitles you to as many calls as you wish to make; without any =
limit. You can access support through our Toll Free number or via our =
email support account.=20

The technical support fee goes towards developing new products and =
updates for existing product. As a customer with valid technical support =
you automatically receive any new updates for existing products you have =
as they are released.

In addition, you are eligible to subscribe to services such as Sagebrush =
Listservs, where you can post messages and receive help from other =
librarians, and Support Documents in which you have access to =
instructional documents.

If you need any further documents, you may want to speak to our sales =
department and they may have some documents that could also benefit you. =
 If you would like to contact sales, you can contact them at =
sales@sagebrushcorp.com or by phone at 1-800-533-5430.  If you require =
any further assistance, please feel free to contact Technical Support by =
phone at 1-800-661-4109 or by e-mail at support@sagebrushcorp.com =
<mailto:support@sagebrushcorp.com>
*****
Also from Sagebrush Corporation:

renewal, Sagebrush Corporation is the only company who supports the =
Spectrum product line and all add on components. Checking your product =
listings, you currently have Spectrum Circ/Cat and Spectrum Webcatalog. =
If you were to decide against renewing your support for these products, =
Sagebrush could no longer offer you technical support in case a problem =
arises. Technical support is an annual fee with the following benefits:

1. Unlimited call support, not pay per call
2. Product updates and upgrades without having to repurchase newer =
versions of our software
3. Data Repair
4. Custom based solutions

We believe there are more benefits to our support services than just =
phone support. Sagebrush is committed to providing the highest quality =
support and services for it's products. If you have any questions about =
the above, please do not hesitate to call technical support at =
800-661-4109 or contact us by e-mail at support@sagebrushcorp.com

Elizabeth Hart
Library Technical Assistant
California School for the Blind