Today, I had to respond (Sheryl Blair, TN & Claudia Vandermade, VA) :  I
agree. Professionalism includes inventory and use of your time wisely by
evaluating your collection (and other useful tasks).  (Applause!!!)  I
further heartily believe that planning to inventory in summer when no
one is watching is very counter-productive to our overall image as
professionals. There is no "book fairy" accounting for how we have spent
local, state and federal funds (private and public).  Care of all of our
materials is a valid and valuable professional obligation.

I want everyone I work with to know that I am a professional by how I
serve my "learning community."  What I say and what I do at work must
also be considered in the broad context of time versus money -- I am
paid to be a 10 month employee.  During that time, I earn every penny!
I wouldn't have it any other way.  During THAT time, I will carry out my
mandate to serve by maximizing use of the available materials AND by
providing appropriate custodial care for the present and future
materials in my library.  If I cannot, or am not allowed to, balance
these tasks within the 10 month framework of my job, what message am I
sending to other educators but that the only valuable thing I do occurs
when the library is open to students?

Teachers have planning periods, professional days, planning days and
come in early, leave late, grade papers, and generally work well beyond
the school day that serves the students.  Teachers are not generally
"expected" to work beyond their 10 month contract to be professionals.
Librarians or teacher/librarians don't often get planning periods,
professional days, or planning days and yet are expected to have the
library open early, open late, provide before and after school care and
accomplish "menial tasks" on their own time -- even summer, if
necessary.

During the past month I have interviewed with a number of experienced
principals and heard these comments:  "the librarian is simply a staff
support position,"  "you're not a teacher,"  "of course, you will be
required to work immediately, (during the summer) preparing a  $20K
materials order within 2 weeks (for a sight-unseen library that has been
without a librarian for the past semester)," "right now we have after
school care until 6:30 pm and very shortly we'll be adding before school
care starting at 7:00 am, and you will be expected to keep the library
open for them" and "you will be able to work over the summer to get the
library moved to it's new location, set up and ready for opening on day
one?"

People, I am scared, but not one to avoid conflict or stress.  We have
our work cut out for us -- still!  Time to get out Hartzell's "Building
Influence" for a re-read and build our spheres of professional
influence!!!  When it comes to tooting my own horn, for the sake of my
profession and image in my "learning community" I am proud and
shameless!

Cathryn Ellen: KateEl@comcast.net
615-650-0408, 615-333-5189
MLIS 3, Class of 2003, TNU
Wright Middle School, Nashville, TN
Reading, Social Studies, Language!  (5th - 8th grades)
"But I'm not using those lesson just for theorizing about the future,
        I am betting on it." Bill Gates {ENTJ}