The problem I was working on in my target concerned students being able t=
work on programs at home, then get them to work on at school when the fil=
sizes get too big for floppy disks. A related problem is the floppy disks=

often go bad at just the wrong moment. Several others wrote that they hav=
the same problem. The responses came in three groups.

One group recommended encouraging students to use USB storage devices suc=
as pen drives or thumb drives or use CD R-W drives
--If the student can provide their own USB storage device -- that's the
ticket. Then it's their responsibility.
--We had the same problem and students are starting to use the usb storag=
devices. The good thing is that the prices have come down and are now muc=
cheaper than they used to be. In addition, we give them out to staff and
sign them out for student use. It's just like signing out a library book.=

--In many International Schools in Asia the USB "Thumbdrives" are very
popular and have been in use for a couple of years.
 One item for your techi is that the slots to take a USB plug is usually =
at
the back of a computer ..... schools now are asking in specs of new
machines for these slots to be in the front.

The second group recommended adding additional capabilities to the school=
.
--Our only solution to this problem was to buy CD-R drives. This is our
first year and even then we've had some glitches. Sometimes I wonder what=
's
more important -- the beauty or the content (it's those pictures, videos
and music files that give us the most memory headaches). If you find
something, please let us know.
-- time to go low tech, Internet style. I'm sure your network servers hav=
FTP file space on them. FTP is accessible through browsers, and can be
passworded. It is ideal for transferring large files. It's the preferred
method that we use to send large files to our customers. There are also
freeware ftp programs that are windows based and are easy to use. They ma=
ke
transferring files in both directions a snap. Your ISP probably has FTP
space that you can use too. =

If you set this up, I would invoke any logging functions and check them
each day. I'd also check the actual files there... just to be sure that t=
he
students don't start trading music and movie files. =

The third group had some suggestions for online file storage sites. =

--I have personally used yahoo's geocities website building site to
transfer some files.  You sign up for a Yahoo account and go into geociti=
es
and there's a file manager.  You don't ever have to upload it.
--If you have a Yahoo account you can use the Yahoo briefcase for 30 MB.
--Have a look at some of the links on one of my pages at
http://www.shambles.net/pages/staff/clasonline/  .... many are free
also http://www.shambles.net/pages/school/ASp/

I am looking into asking the booster club to buy some of the thumb drives=

to check out to students, and am testing out Yahoo's briefcase as well as=

one of the sites listed at shambles.net  http://www.doneasy.com/  =

Many thanks to all who responded.

Deborah J. Stafford
Gen. H.H. Arnold High School