We're about to go into interviews with 9 candidates for the Assistant
Principal position at our H.S., and here are the questions we're asking.
You could adapt these for your Principal's position:

1.      Introduce yourself to the interview committee as you would
introduce yourself to the staff next fall as our new assistant
principal. In three minutes or less, share background experience,
personal characteristics, beliefs and expectations as they relate to
being the newest member of the administrative team

2.      Tell us what you know about MHS and our community and what it
was that attracted you to the position here.

3.      What are your ideas on how to make a high school in a suburban
community like Mahtomedi more open to diversity?

4.      What experience do you have related to building a master
schedule? What are some of the major considerations you would have to
take into account while building the MHS master schedule?

5.      A significant portion of your job will be related to student
discipline and attendance. What experiences and insights do you have
regarding being effective in that role?

6.      What should be the assistant principal's role related to special
education and the child study team?

7.      What is the biggest conflict you had in your present job and how
did you resolve it?

8.      How would the non-licensed staff (clerical, custodians,
paraprofessionals, bus drivers) in your current job describe you?

9.      You receive a call from an angry parent who tells you that
his/her child is being treated in an unfair manner by a specific teacher
and that if the situation isn't addressed, a lawyer will be contacting
you. How do you respond?

10.     What do you see as the role of the counselor at the high school
level?

11.     Student Activities play a major role in the culture of MHS. What
do you think is your role regarding the co and extra-curricular
programs?

12.     What are 3 goals you have for yourself? Where do you see
yourself in 5 years?

13.     The best discipline plan, if implemented wisely, works well for
90% of the student body. What are some strategies that you have used or
would use for the other 10%?

14.     What is your approach to teacher supervision?

15.     School Improvement has been a buzzword for several years. What
do you think is the best way to approach school improvement?

16.     A tenth grade girl tells you that she is constantly being
harassed at home with phone calls from other girls. They call her at all
hours and threaten her, call her names or just hang up. She moved to
Mahtomedi within the last year and one message left on the answering
machine was that "she should move back to St. Paul or whatever hole she
crawled out of ". How do you respond?

17.     Tell us why you are the best candidate for the position of
assistant principal at MHS.

18.     Do you have any questions for us?

"If Librarians ruled the world, Reading would be a Varsity sport."

Reggie Buresh, Librarian
Mahtomedi High School
8000 75th St. N.
Mahtomedi, MN 55115-1795