Dear patient LM_Netters,
I know it's been way overdue, but here is my HIT on Folletbound vs.
Permabound.  After all of this I asked my purchasing person about trying a
new company and the procedure would include finding prices for each item
from 3 different companies and then the district would compare and possibly
ok or not depending on if the prices were better.  I don't know if it would
be worth the time.

The original query was:> I thought I would tap the collective knowledge of
this group for in order
> to get a better understanding of the differences between these two
bindings.
> I currently order only from Follett, just for simplicity sake, but have
been
> increasingly dissatisfied with the way they hold up.  The other day I
> recieved some samples from Permabound, and they look just like
Folletbound.
> Does anyone have experience with both of these products?  Which one holds
up
> better? Which costs more (and is it worth that amount more)?  Any input
> would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  I will post a HIT if
> there is interest.

Here are the results:
---
Bound to Stay Bound holds up forever.  I use to buy from Follett, but their
slick covers tear and the books get distroyed so easily.

The only thing with Bound to Stay Bound Books is that they don't have the
selection that Follett has.  I love BTSB...
---
We do most of our ordering from Bound to Stay Bound Books out of
Jacksonville, IL.  (1-800-637-6586)  We have had no trouble with the
bindings.  They seem to withstand alot of wear and tear.  We are very
pleased.
---
I, too, order most of my books from Follett, and, more and more because
of financial constraints, will order titles in FollettBound rather than
hardcover if the price is cheaper.  I can't say I've noticed a problem with
their binding (since it's mostly non-fiction which doesn't get the hard
circulation that fiction does)
---
Bound to Stay Bound books are sewn and very sturdy.  They are not slick and
as colorful, but their longevity makes up for the looks.  Prices are about
the same.  Call or go on line with BTSB.com
---
 believe that either one or both of
these companies will replace books that
are not holding up.  You might look
into that.
---
I have not had the problems you describe with Follett--I have always been
satisfied with the books I have received from them.  Having said that, I
must admit they are not my main supplier.  I order everything I possibly can
from Bound-To-Stay Bound, and if I can't get it from them, then I go to
Follett.  BTBS cannot be beat for quality.  You can even have the jackets
laminated, which I just opted to do, and they look great.
---
Check the archives, I know that Permabound has been discussed before.
I haven't any experience with Permabound, I use Folletbound. So far my
bindings have held up pretty well, and Follet will replace if they don't.
---
For what it's worth--I buy absolutely everything I can
from Bound to Stay Bound. Their prices are competitive
with Follet's, and their bindings are far, far
superior. I have never in 12 years had to throw away a
Bound to Stay Bound book because of problems with the
bindings!
---
At our library, we recently ordered some Follettbound
books because we have been unhappy about the way that
Permabound books have held up. We were considering
switching to Follett.
---
I usually order from both Permabound and Follett.  The book I received that
was glued from Follett fell apart before the book was a year old.  The books
I get from Permabound usually last.  The Permabound rep locally is a good
friend.  I asked him what was the difference between the bindings for
rebounds between Permabound and Follett.  According to him it is the place
where Follett sends there books to be glued that produces less quality.  I
do compare bindings available from Follett and books that I want to hold up
due to high volume of checkouts I order from Permabound.  Books that last
even longer come from Bound to Stay Bound but I personally can't stand the
outer coverings.  Just too blah for me!
---
I'd be very interested in a Hit on this topic as I almost exclusively order
from Titlewave (Follett). It seems to me that the Follett bound sewn seem to
hold up better than the Follett bound glued. Is this the consensus?
---
The Follettbound and Permabound should hold up about the same.  The both
have "forever" guarantees which means you can call either one and ask for a
free replacement any time the cover doesn't hold up or the pages start
falling out.  My experience with both has been that BOTH honor the guarantee
easily and consistently.
     I don't hesitate to order Follettbound, but I prefer Perma-bound
because Perma-bound books have more attractive covers.  Follett's covers are
better than they used to be, however.  It used to be that all the
Follettbound covers had white spines, which made for really yucky looking
shelves.  And their covers were duller.  Perma-bound's books are beautifully
shiny.
    Follett has superior customer service, and so does Perma-bound.  Both
have excellent MARC records.
     They should cost about the same.  In our state (Texas) Follett doesn't
give a discount, while Perma-bound gives a generous discount. You'll find
that on older titles they are neck-and-neck on the price because both
companies are re-binding paperbacks.  However, on newer titles that are only
available in trade bindings, Follett won't offer re-binds.  Perma-bound will
offer rebinds on the most popular of the newer titles, but you'll pay a
premium because Perma-bound is taking the trade copy and rebinding it.
However, you get a life-time guarantee that way, which you won't get with a
Follett trade cover.
---
I don't have any experience with Permabound, but I do use Folletbound, and
the Follett sales rep told me something a couple of months ago of which I
was not aware.  If your Follettbound book falls apart they will replace it
free of cost for as long as the book is in print.

Christine Zafonte
LMS Signal Hill Elem
Dix Hills, NY
sendto:czafonte@optonline.net