The Dewey (DDC21) is about to be updated and will be released on June
15th--to the DDC22.  The new volumes will cost $375. This is the four volume
set and you can locate information about this through OCLC at:
http://www.oclc.org/dewey/products/index.htm#dewey22

The volume that you would use first to catalog would depend upon which set
you have right now.  I have one of the older sets and I'm using volume 2
(because it is a three volume set) and this one contains the breakdown of
all 10 categories.  If you don't have a CIP available, you will need to
determine the subject(s) of the book and from there decide where to classify
the book.

One of the best instructors that I had in my library science courses stated,
"Start where you are rather than go back."  This means that regardless of
where your collection is at this point, you must begin to build AND weed.
If this means going back through and getting rid of books that are outdated
while you replace, then toss.  However, don't toss everything without making
sure you have something coming...unless the information is SO outdated that
you're sure to give students the wrong information.  If your collection is
so outdated that all of the Dewey numbers are wrong, you will need to make
some serious decisions about your time in comparison to the cost of
replacing these titles.

If you can do a collection age calculation (through Follett's software
program or free from Mackin Books or even Follett's Titlewave program), you
can learn where your weaknesses are in this area.

If you need help with the Lewis and Clark book, please email me...I'm also
re-doing my catalog so DDC and I have become quite good friends (again).

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX
sbrisco021@charter.net