On the positive side:

1. The world is at our fingertips via the internet. We can access news as it
happens, get perspectives on world events from all over the world, and learn
how various cultures are impacted by any variety of stimuli.

2. Databases such as ProQuest, E-Library, Gail Resources, SIRS, etc., have made
it possible for students to access hundreds of thousands of articles, rather
than magazine collections limited by space and local considerations. This often
frees up space that can be better used for student learning. Also, these
databases are updated on the publisher's schedule, so students are able to
access the latest information on their topics.

3. Students have more access to more materials from more places. No longer are
students limited to the four walls of their classroom or the libraries to find
resources. They are limited only by their own schedules rather than school
hours or hours the library is open.

Challenging aspects of these changes:

1. Since building websites has become less and less of a dauting task,
hundreds of websites are published daily. Culling through these and culling the
good ones can be a daunting task. We've all seen students (and adults) get lost
chasing some informational rabbit down a hole, only to find it difficult to
back out and get back on the right track. Teaching web evaluation is absolutely
vital to help patrons navigate the web effectively.

2. Pay-to-use databases can eat up an enormous share of already-limited
budgets. I've considered this money well spent, as it gives an entirely
different dimension to our collection, helping to round out the collection in
areas I haven't had the money to purchase more print sources.

3. Probably the biggest challenge has been the idea that information can be
accessed from anywhere. This has been a positive and a negative for me. More
students are accessing valuable information from the databases the library
subscribes to, but I'm not getting the opportunity to show these students that
there is valuable information other places in the library -- like in books --
because they are working from their classrooms or from home.

HTH,
Cyndi

--- Angie Slate <angieslate88@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
> Hello!  I have been asked by my Technology Coordinator to speak to students
> via videoconference about the effects that technology has had on the
> library.  I've only been a librarian for one year.  I can think of the
> obvious, books are used less and less due to research databases, the
> Internet, etc.  Also, it is much easier to look up a book now due to the
> online catalog.  What else am I missing?  I want to be able to share more
> than that with the students.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give
> me!  I will be in the spotlight on Thursday morning, 11/6.
>

> Angie Slate, Librarian
> Pottsboro High School
> amslate@pottsboroisd.org

> MSN Messenger with backgrounds, emoticons and more.
> http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_customize
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-
> All LM_NET postings are protected by copyright law.
> LM_NET Help & Information: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/
> Archive: http://askeric.org/Virtual/Listserv_Archives/LM_NET.shtml
> LM_NET Select/EL-Announce: http://www.cuenet.com/archive/el-announce/
> LM_NET Supporters: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/ven.html

=====
Cyndi Gates, Librarian                  Owner of Cozie, WCCC
Hutchinson High School                  (World's Cutest Chubby
Hutchinson, KS                                  Chihuahua)
cgates@southwind.net
library_cyndi@yahoo.com

"Havin' more fun than the average bear ..."