From: Barbara Braxton [mailto:barbara@AUSTARMETRO.COM.AU]
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 2:37 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: HIT: Online Doctoral Program

>BUT, I can't imagine any
>Doctoral program worthy of its name that was online.

Dear Dr Allan
I can't understand your position - why does the delivery mode have to impact
on the quality of the course?

Surely it is what you do and what you do with that, that is the key?  Online
delivery allows so many more people to participate in programs, whether at
the doctoral level or not.  It offers access to those in remote areas, to
those who would have no opportunity to attend a particular university
because of geography; to those who are physically disabled or ill and cannot
attend daily; to those with responsibilities that make physical attendance
during "business hours" impossible; to those with alternative lifestyles to
study when it suits their needs; to those with a host of reasons that makes
going to the bricks and mortar too hard.  In 2001, my mum (now 76) was
awarded an Order of Australia (high honour) because she recognised that many
elderly folk are isolated (include housebound in that) and she began U3A
Online - that is the University of the 3rd Age which allows those over 65 to
continue to learn and grow and remain mentally active.

Web-based delivery shouldn't affect the quality of the learning,
participation and evaluation that is required and acquired.  I am about to
embark on my third masters degree, and, like the others entirely online, and
I challenge anyone to demonstrate that what I did in either of the first two
was in any way inferior to attending a building.  I believe that the
children in my care benefit so much from what I learn online that they are
much better off than if I didn't study because I cannot attend the
universities that offer the courses that meet my needs and interests.  (And
even though I won't have a PhD after my name, three masters degrees must be
getting pretty close to a doctorate anyway.)

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher-Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School