I'm new to MS and new to this particular school. I have one nerve left
this morning and wonder how other folks would deal with this. I have an
email started to this teacher, but I'm sure there are other things I
should include than I've already written. I've also asked to talk to the
7th grade team leader for advice before I finalize my message. Here's what
has happened this morning:

A 7th grade Humanities teacher signed up for 2 and half hours of library
time this morning. We have core teams which swap students part way through
the day, so I knew there would be two sets of students coming. When I
asked her what we were doing (research or getting a book for reading), she
said "typing a letter." We have a computer lab that can accommodate a full
class while the library has 12 PCs, so her students had to take turns at
the computer. The computer lab was available during this time. They
supposedly had an activity to do while they were not on the computer, but
most didn't do it. They were up and running around, clapping, talking
loudly, etc. I did not do much discipline; neither did she. The only
exceptions were when it was so loud I couldn't hear someone talking to me
a few inches away or on the phone, people were eating or drinking, or were
running. This little discipline thing isn't new with this teacher -- it
happens when they come to the library to get books, but then I'm at least
equally in charge since they are here for a library activity.......

I had to turn away several students needing to take AR tests, do research
for a class, or look up books using the online catalog because her class
was here. Not to mention that the noise and movement level was way to high
for me to be able to concentrate and get any of my work done. I'm working
on a message which outlines my philosophy of school library service (*not*
just a computer lab!) and why I am asking her to use the lab for this kind
of activity.

I don't want to beat her over the head but I want her to understand that
my vision of the library and the way I intend to run it is that it be
available to as many students as possible, not monopolized by one teacher
for nearly all of the morning. What would you say?

Thanks for letting me vent and for your suggestions,
Julie

Julie Anderson, Librarian
Saghalie Middle School
253-945-5010
juanders@fwsd.wednet.edu

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived, if you're standing outside the
fire." Jenny Yates and Garth Brooks