My speech teachers and I are collaborating together to teach students how to
evaluate websites (they "Google" for sources rather than using our online
databases).  We are actually collaborating together to show them how easily
"duped" they are into believing that what they see on the Web is always
valid and can be used as research for speeches.

In order to do this, I would like to use only BOGUS websites to allow them
to evaluate for authority, authenticity, etc.  Because I have already worked
with this grade in English, I know how they are approaching research---use
Google and go....I want to basically stop them in their tracks because they
aren't taking the time to evaluate their resources thoroughly.

However, before I do this, I wanted to know if anyone has already created
such a lesson?  I have already created the Website Evaluation Guide (which
led me to understand how they do their research in the English class), but I
am looking for the Bogus websites and / or a lesson plan that has some great
ideas to start kids thinking about the Web.

If anyone has any NEW bogus websites or have used some that are wonderfully
believable, I would appreciate the site address.  If these are in the
archives, I'll check--just let me know.

Lesson plans would be appreciated!  I'll post my lesson, if others are
interested....just let me know.  (The lesson is set for Tuesday and
Wednesday of next week.)

TIA!

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian