I'm also a huge fan of not duplicating expense or effort (or computer files,
but that's a different story). I'd bet folks/schools just don't realize what
resources the public library has! Does your library system have a
partnership/outreach program with the public schools? If not, someone
should!

My neighborhood public library branch asks that I keep them informed of unit
studies, projects & reports due dates, and assignments (I hope the other
branch libraries have such a relationship with their nearby schools!).
Before summer vacation, we managed to get library cards for at least 40
neighborhood students, and made sure they knew that the bookmobile visited a
nearby high-rise-elderly home so neighborhood students could use it. We also
have visiting readers and story tellers from the library, take kids to the
library for story time, and participate in a local award program that
started with the public library. The librarian visits every Fall and Spring
to make sure kids who want library cards have them.

In other words, someone has to make the effort to do the outreach to
schools! And you can easily make a case with the administrations about
partnering and cost savings. Start with the folks who aren't "turf anxious"
and news of your collaboration and good works will spread quickly.

Cheers,
Jennifer Burke LMS
Centennial Place Elementary School
Atlanta, GA