I am trying to get the schools in my area to make greater use of my public
library's online resources collection with their students.

Personally, I fail to why, when all the students (and many of the teachers)
in the schools are residents of our town & eligible to use them legally, the
schools are duplicating the provision of some of our online databases.  Most are
available off-site by entering a library card number.

It would be a simple matter for the computer labs to bookmark the list of
databases the Clevnet system offers on their pc's and teach them how to log in
using their library card.  Heck, I'd go teach them how to log in if they want.
There used to be an issue of patrons not being able to get a card if they owed
fines, but that was  changed three years ago.  They still might not be able
to check books & videos out, but they CAN use a valid, non-expired card to log
in to the databases.

Any suggestions?  Has any of your schools decided to stop paying these
companies for online services that are already being paid for by your public
library?  I admit I'm a bit obsessed about this issue.  I really hate to see my kids
coming into my library at night with outdated textbooks while these companies
are being paid double to provide them with access to the same databases.

Sandra Dews
Teen Services Librarian
EPL, Cleveland, OH
sandradews@aol.com