Thank you to all who replied with the wonderful list of books or suggestions
of where to look for more.  I will certainly impress all I show this too!  I
have included my original request at the beginning of this HIT and the
replies are following.
_____________________________Original
Request_________________________________________
This is my first year as a MS.  I am at two K-5 buildings.  One of my
buildings (and sooner than later,the other building) are teaching 5 Lifelong
Guidelines, which are trustworthy, truthfulness, personal best, no
put-downs, and active listening.  If you know of any books that we could use
to help teach these skills I would greatly appreciate any help that I can
get in compliling a list.  I will post a hit after I receive some responses.
  ( an example for trustworthy and truthfulness would be Strega Nona's old
tale)

We also will teach the llife skills of: assertiveness, caring, common sense,
cooperation, courage, curriosity, effort, flexibility, friendship,
initiative, integrity, organization, patience, perseverance, perspective,
pride, problem solving, responsibility and sense of humor....I could also
use some book titles to help teach this also.

Thank you in advance for your hard work and time in helping me complie a
list....I will share with all!

Wendy Morris
Librarian
McPherson, KS
tlbreezy2@hotmail.com
Have you tried the picture book data base out of Miami University? Here's
the link
http://www.lib.muohio.edu/pictbks/   You can look up by keyword, title,
subject...I use it all the time, when I can't seem to find what I want in my
OPAC. Hope this helps.

Our school has some of the same topics in our character education program. I
have some links and lists of books for our topics at
www.monet.k12.ca.us/tuolumne/character_education.htm

Consider the bibliography guide, Character Education: A Book Guide for
Teachers, Librarians and Parents, by Sharron McElmeel. It provides access to
books by such topics, with an excellent index. I reviewed it recently in
Teacher Librarian. The review is a brief one, listing only resources we
recommend, in a column called Worth a Look. It follows lengthier reviews of
professional resources. This specific review is at
http://www.teacherlibrarian.com/pages/profreading30_3.html  (use Character
as the Cntrl-F search term). Or scroll down, listed alphabetically by title,
after the lengthier reviews.

You can see details about these on Amazon or Titlewave. Look at a copy of
A-Zoo. It tells you suggestions for picture books by subject. I'm not sure
if it includes values though.

LIFELONG GUIDELINES

TRUTHFULNESS:
THE GREAT WHITE MAN-EATING SHARK
THE BOY WHO CRIED WOLF
THE EMPTY POT
THE PEDDLER'S GIFT
EMPEROR'S NEW CLOTHES
THE TRUE STORY OF THE THREE LITTLE PIGS
What's So Terrible About Swallowing an Appleseed?

TRUSTWORTHINESS:
THE GREAT WHITE MAN-EATING SHARK
LOVE YOU FOREVER
STONE SOUP

ACTIVE LISTENING:
THE TREASURE

NO PUT-DOWNS:
PEPPE THE LAMPLIGHTER
CROW BOY (we also have the video)
CHRYANTHEMUM
THE UGLY DUCKLING
THE TALKING EGG
The Meanest Thing to Say by Bill Cosby

PERSONAL BEST:
MISS RUMQHIUS
THE LORAX
THE PATCHWORK QUILT
PEPPE THE LAMPLIGHTER
THROUGH GRANDPA'S EYES
Amazing Grace by Mary Hoffman
Wilma Unlimited by Kathleen Krull

LIFESKILLS
INTEGRITY:
FOLLOW THE DRINKING GOURD
PINK AND SAY
THE TALE OF THE MANDARIN DUCKS
SIR GAWAIN AND THE LOATHLY LADY (for older students)

INITIATIVE:
YOU FORGOT YOU SKIRT, AMELIA BLOOMER!
THE LEGEND OF BLUBONNET
I WANT TO BE AN ASTRONAUT
WAGON WHEELS
CADDIE WOODLAWN
BEARS ON HEMLOCK MOUNTAIN
PLANET OF JUNIOR BROWN
SARA AND THE DOOR
FLOSSIE AND THE FOX
THE TOOTHPASTE MILLIONAIRE
THE YOUNG LANDLORDS
HENRY REED'S BABY
SUMI'S PRIZE

FLEXIBILITY:
STELLALUNA
THE TREASURE

PERSEVERANCE:
TACKY THE PENGUIN
JUMPING MOUSE
THANK YOU, MR. FALKER
THE PATCHWORK QUILT
HORTON HEARS A WHO
THE HARE AND THE TORTOISE
THE TREASURE

ORGANIZATION:
HARRY AND HORACE CLEAN UP

SENSE OF HUMOR:
A PORCUPINE NAMED FLUFFY
TACKY THE PENGUIN
tHE EMPEROR'S NEW CLOTHES

EFFORT:
HORTON HEARS A WHO

COMMON SENSE:
IT COULD ALWAYS BE WORSE
THUNDERCAKES
GONE IS GONE

PROBLEM SOLVING:
ONE GRAIN OF RICE
THE WILD CHRISTMAS REINDEER
HERSHEL AND THE HANUKKAH GOBLIN
SIR GAWAIN AND THE LOATHLY LADY (for older students)

RESPONSIBILITY:
THE TALKING EGGS
THE LORAX
WHY MOSQUITOES BUZZ IN PEOPLE'S EARS
ON MY HONOR
THE SUMMER OF THE SWANS
THE COURAGE OF SARAH NOBLE
THE CRY OF THE CROW
THE HOLE IN THE DIKE
NIGHT ON THE NEIGHBORHOOD STREET (POEMS)
ALDO PEANUT BUTTER
PIGS MIGHT FLY
THE DRINKING GOURD
SAM WHO NEVER FORGETS
THE GREAT SKINNER STRIKE

THE PLANT SITTER

PATIENCE:
THANK YOU, MR. FALKER
THE WILD CHRISTMAS REINDEER

FRIENDSHIP:
REBEL
PINK AND SAY
BADGER'S PARTING GIFTS (deals with death)
FRIENDS
YO! YES?

CURIOSITY:
HORTON HEARS A WHO

COOPERATION:
HOKEY POKEY
REBEL
THE ANT AND THE ELEPHANT
A NEW COAT FOR ANNA
AUNT HARRIET'S UNDERGROUND RAILROAD IN THE SKY

CARING:
JUMPING MOUSE
LOVE YOU FOREVER
THANK YOU, MR. FALKER
THE LEGEND OF BLUEBONNET
HORTON HEARS A WHO
PERFECT THE PIG (VIDEO AVAILABLE)
BADGER'S PARTING GIFT (deals with death)
NANA UPSTAIRS AND NANA DOWNSTAIRS
MUFARO'S BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTERS
December by Eve Bunting

COURAGE:
THE TALKING EGG
HERSHEL AND THE HANUKKAH GOBLIN
THE TALE OF THE MANDARIN DUCKS
BASEBALL SAVED US
FRITZ AND THE BEAUTIFUL HORSES
SHEILA RAE, THE BRAVE
Heroes of Isle Aux Mort by Alice Walsh
Mirette on the High Wire

PRIDE:
THE CLOWN OF GOD
BASEBALL SAVED US
BADGER'S PARTING GIFT (deals with death)
STELLALUNA

RESOURCEFULNESS:
JOSEPH HAD A LITTLE OVERCOAT
PAINTED DREAMS
DUNCAN'S WAY
THE HOLE IN THE DIKE
ANGEL PIG AND THE HIDDEN CHRISTMAS
BASEBALL SAVED US

GENERAL: THESE ARE DIFFICULT TO PUT IN A CATEGORY. THEY COVER MANY SKILLS.
I DID IT, I'M SORRY

Bibliography – Life skills

Caring
We are best friends…Aliki (E ALI)
The two of them….Aliki (E ALI)
Moon Bear…Frank Asch (E ASC)
Ten, nine, eight…Molly Bang (E BAN)
Koala Lou……Mem Fox (E FOX)
Wilfred Gordon MacDonald partridge…Mem Fox  (E FOX)
Mama, do you love me?….Barbara Joosse  (E JOO)
The Amazing Bone…..William Steig (E STE)
Hazel’s amazing mother… Rosemary Wells (E WEL)
The very best of friends…Margaret Wild (E WIL)
A chair for my mother… Vera Williams

Charlotte’s Web…..E.B. White (F WHI)

Common Sense
Turtle tale…Frank Asch (E ASC)
Ming Lo moves the mountain……Arnold Lobel (E LOB)
Curious George rides a bike…….H.A. Rey (E REY)
Teach us Amelia Bedelia……Peggy Parish (E PAR)
The woman with the eggs….Jan Wahl (E WAH)

The eighteenth emergency…Betsy Byars (F BYA)

Cooperation

Initiative:
Legend of the blue bonnet….Tomie de Paola
Abiyoyo…..Pete Seeger
Lon PoPo………Ed Young
Chicken Sunday……Patricia Polacco
Talking eggs…..Robert D. San Souci
Stone Fox……John Reynolds gardiner
Mirette on the high wire….Emily Arnold McCully
Louis Braille….Margaret Davidson

Integrity:
Chicken Sunday……Patricia Polacco
Talking eggs…..Robert D. San Souci
Adventures of Obadiah…Brinton Turkle
Diogenes….Aliki
A pair of red clogs…..Masako Matsuno
How the trollusk got his hat…Mercer mayer
Midnight Fox….Betsy Byars

Swimmy….leo Lionni
Bremen town musicians….Jacob Grimm

Courage:
Thunder cake…Patricia Polacco
Call it courage…Armstrong Sperry
Tar Beach….Faith Ringgold
Knots on a counting rope…Bill martin

Curiosity:
Rehema’s journey….Barbara Margolis
Families are different…Nina Dellegrinni
The black pearl….Scott O’Dell
Angus and the cat….Marjorie Flack
Curious George….Hans Augusto Rey
Lorenzo….Bernard Waber

Effort:
Pecos Bill…Steven Kellogg
A new coat for Anna….Harriet Aiefert
Day of Ahmed’s secret…..heide and Gilliand
A tree full of pigs….Arnold Lobel
Sign of the beaver….Elizabeth So
Wednesday Surprise…Eve Bunting
Little red hen

Friendship:
Angel child, dragon child….Michele maria Surat
Amos and Boris…William Steig
Big Al….Andrew Clemens
The Hundred dresses….Eleanoe Eastes
Best friends….Stephen Kellogg
George and Martha….james marshall

Flexibility
The loner….Ester Wier
The dorrbell rang…pat Hutchins
Gregory, the terrible eater….Mitchell Sharmat
Owl and the woodpecker…Brian Wildsmith
Carrot cake…Nonny Hogrogian
Roxaboxen…Alice McLerran
I spy…Linda haywood

Patience
Carrot seed….Ruth Krauss
Owl moon….jane Yolen
Frog and toad together –The Garden…….Arnold Lobel
Leo the late bloomer….Robert Krauss
Helen Keller’s teacher

Persevereance:
Helen keller….
Legend of the Indian paintbrush…Tomie de Paola
Charlie needs a cloak…….”
Ramona and her father…Beverley ClearyFrankweiler….E.L. Konisberg
Thank you Jackie Robinson….Barbara Cohen

Problem Solving:
I can’t said the ant…Polly Cameron
The ant and the elephant…Bill Peet
Seven Chinese brothers….Margaret Mahy
Blind men and the elephant…Ed Yound / Karen Backstein
Doctor DeSoto…..William Steig
Mr. Popper’s penguins….Richard T. Atwater
Inch by inch…Leo Lionni
Bargain for Francis….Russell Hoban

Responsibility:
Keep the lights burning Abbie….Abbie peters and Connie Wood
Sara Morton’s day….Katie Watera
Millions of cats….Wanda G’ag
The drinking gourd….F.N.Munjo

Sense of humor:
Anna Banana & me….Joanna Cole
Wind in the willows…..Kenneth Graham
It could always be worse….Margot Zemach
Sara plain and tall…..Patricia MacLachian

Need more e-mail storage? Get 10MB with Hotmail Extra Storage.
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es