My Question Was:  Wondering what your favorite picture book versions of the
CLASSIC tales are.
>Are there newly illustrated versions that I should find?
YOUR RESPONSES:

Sharon and Carl responded in favor of Aylesworth:
Jim Aylesworth has a lovely new retelling of Goldilocks and the Three Bears
(check his website at http://www.ayles.com) and although I love it.
+++++++++++++++++
Tony and Sharon like the versions illustrated by Jan Brett

The classics of both of these tales that you mention, of course are the
Paul Galdone versions -- if you can still get those in hard copies I think
all libraries should have those forever.  :>)
++++++++++++++
Deborah said : I like the Paul Galdone versions of almost any classic
folk/fairy tales.
++++++++++++++
Joanne let me know that  "reader" type versions of those are available from
Picture Window Books.  www.picturewindowbooks.com

+++++++++++++
Suby says: My favorite for The 3 Bears is Paul Galdone's version.  He's got
a great
versiou of The Three Little Pigs, too.  However, you must be prepared to
talk about different versions of stories, because in his version (goes along
with the old versions) the first 2 pigs get eaten.

The reason i like Galdone is because he uses the language we're accustomed
to.  "Little pig, little pig, let me come in."  "Not by the hair of mychinny
chin chin."

I don't like his version of Jack and the Beanstalk, however.  Nor do I like
his version of Rapunzel.
++++++++++
Brenda  had a unique offering:  Barry Moses' rendition of the Three Pigs is
well done and true to the tale.
++++++++++++++++

Alicia and Tess like James Marshall's versions
+++++++++++++++
And Betsy says of Bill Martin's: I love Bill Martin's version of all of the
classic tales.  They are the standard story but the illustrations are very
funny.  In the three pigs he includes the ending where the wolf tries to
entice the third pig out of his house.  I had never heard this part of the
story, but it is one of the traditional versions.

Thanks for the Help LM_NETTERS.  I couldn't do this job without you.

Marcia Dressel
K-5 Librarian
Osceola Elementary and Intermediate Schools
Osceola, WI        dressel@osceola.k12.wi.us