the following announcement of events at the Donnell Central
Children's Room, NYPL, is forwarded to LM_NET and Lib101 at
their request.

Greetings, Friends:

Should you be, or plan to be, in the New York City area any time this mont=
h, the Central
Children's Room at The New York Public Library will be hosting several eve=
nts that may
be of interest, and to which you are all invited. Please pardon the cross-=
posting.

Central Children=92s Room
presents
A Spring Lecture Series

Thursday, April 15th, 2004
6:00 =96 8:00

"Power, Passion, and Narrative Flow"
Author, educator, and Editorial Director for
Philomel Books, PATRICIA LEE GAUCH has not only written
popular novels and picture books herself, but has shepherded into the worl=
d many beloved,
award winning works from some of our most highly regarded writers and arti=
sts.

****

Thursday, April 22, 2004
6:00 =96 8:00

"Words and Pictures"
Already renowned as an illustrator of comics and graphic
novels, JON J MUTH has broken into the world of children's picture books w=
ith a huge
splash, winning a Gold Medal from the Society of Illustrators for his work=
 in Karen
Hesse's 1999 Come On, Rain! and earning a place on The New York Public Lib=
rary's
annual list of children's books for his 2003 rendition of Stone Soup. Toni=
ght he will offer
observations on his creative
process, with special reference to his work for children.

Both events will be preceded by a reception, from 6:00 =96 6:30. This annu=
al event is
intended for adults who are interested in children=92s literature, and pro=
vides an opportunity
to explore how award-winning artists approach their work.

AND...

The New York Public Library and the Ezra Jack Keats Foundation are pleased=
 to announce
the 2004 winners of the Ezra Jack Keats New Writer and New Illustator Book=
 Awards.
They are Gabi Swiatkowska, illustrator of My Name Is Yoon (written by Hele=
n Recorvits
and published by Frances Foster Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux) and Jero=
n Ashford
Frame, author of Yesterday I Had the Blues (illustrated by R. Gregory Chri=
stie and
published by Tricycle Press).

The Awards will be presented on April 29 at 5 p.m. at a ceremony open to t=
he public in the
Central Children=92s Room of the Donnell Library Center.

We thank the Ezra Jack Keats Foundation for its support.

Central Children=92s Room, Donnell Library Center
20 West 53rd Street
New York, NY 10019
(212) 621-0636

Hope to see you there.