--Apple-Mail-10--362581772

Last week I posted the following:

"I am trying to come up with some AR incentives that are low cost.  We
are now beginning to promote the AR program at our school.  However,
the incentives provides by Renaissance Learning can be costly.  I would
also like some ideas regarding procedures for taking AR tests.  One of
our teachers allow students to use their books since students are
encouraged to look back at the selections on our state assessment
tests. Any ideas?

Janice M. Askew
Teacher - MLS student
T. S. Cooper Elem.
Sunbury, NC  27979
jmaskew63@earthlink.net

I have been asked by a few people to post hits.  Thanks to everyone who
sent WONDERFUL suggestions and ideas!!!
I separated the incentives hits from the procedures hits.  Here are the

Incentives:

personally purchase much of my prizes for our "store" through Oriental
Trading or Smiles catalogs.  They both offer cheap neat prizes.

I do a high points earner luncheon each month. Burger King or McDonalds
provide a discount lunch for us. I make certificates using Print Shop
which has their name and points total on it. I also put a copy of their
certificate on a bulletin board in the front hallway. I also at the end
of the year do an AR store. In this store are self made coupons for no
homework night, good for the following year, coupons for spending a
class period with the principal and assistant principal playing games
like Scrabble, checkers, etc. (Principal is only allowed to use 3 or 4
letter words). Coupons for free pizza buffet at the local pizza joint
(donated) and then for the top point earner are the cute Cat in the Hat
walkie talkies (14.95) and then one of those trick yo yo (8.95) for the
second top point earner. I can't remember what the third place winner
gets nor the fourth place winner items.

Different food parties are usually a lot cheaper than trinkets.  You
could have a banana split party or a waffle breakfast or a pizza party.
Another idea that I have been using for other rewards is to buy
half-price children's books and let kids pick a book as a prize.  You
have to really look to find books that are cheap enough, but one place
is the Scholastic Warehouse sales, or a half-price bookfair.

Low cost incentives at our school include fast food coupons that we ask
local businesses to donate.    Coupons for a free ice cream in the
cafeteria.  Some schools do homework passes.

After years of running an "AR Store," I did away with it this year.  In
my middle school, I found that grab bags were popular.  They were
filled with candy and little trinkets from Oriental Trading.  This year
I decided to just give end-of-year prizes, certificates, etc. for those
students who attained 100 points or more.

First question would be - are you goal setting?  Our teachers at the
elem reward their students for meeting their weekly goals with pickles.
  On Friday if they met their weekly goals they get a pickle and kids
love pickles! At the jh/hs at the end of the six weeks, I give all the
kids that meet their goals a pizza party.  3 slices per kid and a soda.
  It cost about $100 a six weeks, but it comes out of fine money.

Our school has a small box of items from Oriental Trading and Smiles.
Students can choose from these boxes for first 2 levels.  They also get
things like ice cream and soda at lunch.

I am at a middle school, but at our school I give out certificates that
I make for the students at our awards "pride" day that we have each
nine weeks. I also give an ice cream sundae party to the top three of
the grade level and the gold plus club (students that have read 100
points or more so far for the year). I have a gold club, a silver club,
and a bronze club. The students seem to love it- and at the ice cream
sundae party today, I had thirty-six students, with five students
absent! It cost me about fifty-three dollars for the ice cream and
toppings (which could be cheaper, but I have dipped ice cream for two
parties, so I bought the cups this time- gave each student two and a
bowl- they put the toppings of their choice). I use money from the last
bookfair to pay for the supplies- I have a great principal that works
with me... Hope this helps!

(5 pts for K- 2nd - Picture taken and put on bulletin board)
10 pts K-5 - "Paw Print" with name (bear cubs is our school mascot) on
wall in library
25 pts picture taken and put on a star, which is then laminated and
hung from ceiling in library
50 pts letter home to parents, key chain
75 pts. lunch with the principal on the stage in cafeteria
100 pts. picture taken sitting at principal's desk and printed 8 x 10
and laminated and put in main hallway
125 pts. name on marquis in front of school
150 pts. field trip toward the end of school year

You can go to this site to see our incentives
http://www.osage.k12.mo.us/les/library/INCENTIVES.html

Procedures:

I will let our kinders and 1st graders look back.....our second graders
at the beginning of the year.  Other than that, they have to remember.
If the  teacher really insists then let her students.  Most of my
teachers insist in no looking back.

I never allow students to look at their books.  The test is supposed to
measure reading comprehension.

Our teachers usually require that students take 3-6 tests on or above
their reading level each nine weeks.  I print the reports and they take
grades on the tests taken.  That way students know they have to achieve
a 70 or above to have a passing grade on that activity. We are focusing
more on how well they do on the tests than we are on points and prizes.

My literacy facilitator found an Accelerated Reader Code of Conduct
last year and we have been using it with our students.  Thought it
might be what you are looking for to help with AR procedures.  :)

--Apple-Mail-10--362581772

If the attachment does not open, I found the same form at the site
below:

home.att.net/~clnetwork/ar/code.pdf

Again, it is much appreciated that you took time to answer my
question(s).

Janice M. Askew
Teacher - MLS student
T. S. Cooper Elem.