A big thanks to all of you who replied to my query about the efficacy of
security systems.  Your responses were very helpful and much
appreciated.  Quite a few people asked me to post a hit.

HITS:

Here are some numbers. I have only been here two years
so I'm not sure I can really explain the older ones
but here goes...

1992-1993 School Year -- 147 books lost  Cost =1259.50
1993-1994 159 books 1379.11
94-95 237 books 2610.67
95-96 183 books 1858.50
96-97 208 books 2321.95
97-98 182 books 2321.95
98-99 (had the system half the year) 58 books 739.16
99-00 (first full year) 23 books 269.03
00-01 12 books 88.61
01-02 5 books 72.53
02-03 6 books 94.04

***

I was at a school that had a security system the entire 5 years I was
there.
The 4th year, it broke and I was building a new facility so they didn't
want
to replace it.  I know I lost MANY more books that last year and a
half
because the system was broken.  I don't think I lost as many as I
could
have, because I kept it in place and pretended it worked...a couple of
times
I saw kids walking through with books and called them back.  They asked
why
the alarm didn't go off and I told them I saw them and turned it off so
wouldn't disturb the others who were working.  They looked doubtful,
but
gave the books back to me and checked them out.

***

We use the 3M security system....
I've only caught a couple of times when it didn't alert us to a book
"walking" out the door.
It came about the same times as I did so I have no idea.  We've used it
for about 16 years.
Do the students figure out pretty
quickly how to defeat the system?
They would like to defeat it at times but so far I think we've stopped
that idea.
 Does one need to visually monitor the
entrance/exit constantly?
We only stand by the exit when we have large amounts of students
exiting at the same time...at times we have four classes all using the
library to the end of the period.  Sometimes it sets off when more than
one student is inside the "gate".
Do you allow students to bring their
backpacks into the library
Yes.  The major problem we have is that video stores do not desensitize
their movies when they are checked out and their "active" strips make
our alarm sound off.  Also the branches of our local library do not have
the system so books from the central public system are not desentized
when they are checked out of the local branches....again setting off our
system.  Its not a huge problem however.
  Do you feel installing the system has been worth the
substantial $$ outlay?
Our librarian seems to think so.  Our students are not allowed to check
out materials unless they have their barcoded identification with them.
So if they forgot it they will try to take it anyway and the system
catches them.
The biggest problem is that our first system used a "plate" glued
behind the card pocket and with time those are falling apart so students
can now see what they are.  Occasionally as a joke on their friend they
will rip the plate out and stash it in the friends backpack setting the
system off.

***

We found that most of our lossage was from students taking books to the

computer room, to show to a freind, or to see a teacher.  Before you
security
system we lost many reference booksf, now very few.  Needless to say
what is
missing was what was being studied and needed. Before the security
system we
received shopping bags of books when studnets left for college
(returned by
parents.)  There were always termpaper topic books and for some topics
we
replaced the collection yearly.  This has stopped.  Yes, one can easily
get
around the system, yes we still miss several books.  But most students
were
not stealing they were borrowing, now the system reminds then to check
the
book out.

***

Yes, I believe security systems are worth it.  The cost of even
paperback books is so high these days, and the procedures to order new
ones so complicated in most districts, that we need to protect what we
have.  At my last high school, one of the gates stopped working.  After
a year, the kids figured out that it was not "peeping"  and all sorts of
things began to walk.  I always tell kids," if you are really determined
to steal something, I'm sure you can figure out a way."  The gates are
mostly to remind the absent minded.  Depending on the age of your
students, you will also have to deal with the pranksters who put a "hot"
book in someone else's backpack.  In my current school, there is no
place to put backpacks.  In my last school, we did not allow backpacks
into the body of the library, but that was mostly to stop the food and
drink issue.  Truly, I cannot imagine NOT having a security system.  The
real problem lies with the 3M which has a monopoly.  This is a whole
different subject, however.

***

Studies we did when I worked at a public library and at the US Air
Force
Academy showed that the systems paid for themselves in about 2 to 3
years.  Some of this depends on how high the loss rate is presently.
Where I worked the rates went from 3% loss down to 1/2 % loss after the

system was installed at the Academy.  At the public library it dropped

from a high of around 5-8%.  No matter what system is used there are
ways to defeat it.  The best thing one can do is understand the
weaknesses, and be prepared for a certain amount of loss.

***

Our security system hasn't worked for the last five years.  We
installed new carpet a couple of years ago (before I was here), and
administration made the decision to leave the security hardware in to
give the appearance of a working security system.  Most of the students
know it doesn't work.  It was a pain because students would jam up at
the exiting turnstile (really old school) and sneak out the emergency
gate.  It was just a hassle to monitor them.  Finally, just last week, I
got the okay from the new principal to pull it out.  We've ripped out
half of it to allow large groups of students to exit at once but still
funnels them by the circulation desk so that we can "keep an eye on
them."  My decision was prompted by a student who asked if the system
worked.  When I admitted it didn't and that a new one was in the
ballpark of $10,000, he asked, "Do you lose $10,000 worth of books?"  I
had to admit to him and to myself that we didn't.  The brief exchange
finally gave me the final incentive to dump it all.
I'd be interested in hearing what others say.  So, if you could post a
hit, I'd appreciate it.

****

Yes - I would say we have seen a big drop in losses.  I cannot
quantify
it exactly for you - although I could with some research.  Another
thing
to keep in mind is that when we installed the security system, we put
it
in a brand new High School.  My past losses are from when we were a
6-12 school of 650.  Now we are a 9-12 building with only 325.  All
that
said - we were losing about 100 - 125 books per year - with around 30
returning home to roost - so a net loss of between 70-100 yearly.   We
had a 2 book drops.  When we emptied the middle school wing book drop
-
most of the books there had been signed out.   When we emptied the
book
return in the high school wing - most of the books had NOT been signed
out.  So - it was pretty obvious what grade level was doing the
stealing.  Hence when we built the HS, we put in a security system.
For
the past 2 years, I lost 7 books the first year, and 10 books the
second
year - and some of those books have come back in.  I think many of
them
could be staff errors.  I know I find myself so busy chatting with
students that I forget to actually scan the book.  I am so busy
talking
and running the book over the desensitizer block that I sometimes
forget
to scan that bar code.

We have had almost no "funny business" with the gates.   I think
because
of the attitude we have used in presenting it.  We have actaully had
some problems with the system that turned out to be a good thing in
the
end.  We have trouble turning some books off.  Certain books will beep
no matter what we do it seems.  And some days are worse than others.
We
have consistently been very light hearted about the whole thing - just
giggling a little and saying to the kids with beeping books - "oh ,
let's give that another try - it is just such a picky little system."
At the end of most large classes, I will just stand by the gates and
chat with folks as they get ready to leave.  I ask them to try not to
bunch up, as masses of metal seem to set the thing off.  If it does go
off - we just make little jokes like "Must be that metal plate in your
head".  and "Will the beeping party, please step aside".  Then we let
the others go through as we ask the student if they can "please find
that annoying book so we can try to "shut it up" for you".  Things
like
that.  I have only found 1 person who appeared to be "stealing" a
book.
But I just treated him like it must have just been an oversight.  I DO
think that if you have such a system, it is easier if you use date due
cards.  I simply take the book from the student and check that it has
current date due card in the pocket.  That tells me that the book has
been signed out and I don;t have to check the circ computer.  I just
run
it over the desesitizing block again.

Because of the problems we do have with our system, I would not
recommend Checkpoint.  But - it could be because I believe we have
pretty much a bottom of the line system.

Kids will soon find out that if you hold the books above their heads
that they can "beat" the system.  We just laugh when they point this
out
and say - Well - duh - you look just a little obvious doing that,
don't
ya' think?"  They just laugh along with us.  I also tell them that if
someone really wants to steal a book - they might be able to acomplish
it.  The system is just there as a reminder to those that are just too
forgetful - or lazy - to sign it out.

All I can say is your attitude will make all the difference in how the
students accept it.  I just tell them that "the district had some
special building money to spend - and if we were ever going to do
this,
now was the time.  So - we're all just stuck with it", I say, " and I
guess we all just have to make the best of it."  They accept that.
I DO allow them to bring in backpacks.  If they beep on the way out, I
simply ask them to remove the library book for me to check on while
they walk through put the pack outside.
Meanwhile i try to "un-beep the book".  They laugh at that phrase.

***

When I was a student at SCILS at Rutgers and taking a statistics course
in the mid eighties, we had to come up with a project utilizing
statistics that would benefit a library(media center.)  I decided to
study how long it would take to recover the cost of a security system
(we chose Checkpoint) with the money saved from books no longer getting
lost.  Because the library I was studying had a high figures for "lost"
books each year, the result was that in just two years the system paid
for itself.
This is the library that I came to work in years later.  We do
currently have a security system (3M) and have very little loss of
books.

***

 we have had a security system for 15 years now & I wouldn't be without
one!
It has definitely paid for itself many times over.  We have a 3M
system.
Prior to installation, we had documented proof that we lost between
300-400
books per year. I would buy them, they would take them.  That's how it
worked!
We now lose less than 10% of that--usually about 15-20 books per year.
Yes,
many of them know that they can raise a book up and bypass the system,
but
we nail those when we can.  I tell the 9th graders during orientation
that I
take the security system very seriously and if they "forget" to check
out a
book & then alarm sounds, they will have to explain to the campus
resource
officer (policeman) what their situation is.
Backpacks come in.
our circ desk is where we have a good view of the system, unless of
course
we are swamped there--which is often.
worth the money.

Thanks again.