Hi all,

Once again, this fabulous group of colleagues has come through with the =
answer.

The name of the book is My Grandmother's Clock.  I have included the =
synopsis from Amazon.com because it sounds like it might be a lovely book =
for a retirement gift for anyone who is retiring.... but especially a =
grandmother.

Thanks to Julie.... and a few other people who led me sites that didn't =
include the answer but brought to mind some titles of some "old friends" =
as well as some new titles to investigate.

My Grandmother's Clock by=20
McCaughrean's (A Little Lower Than the Angels) meditation on time, =
serenely illuminated by Lambert (Nobody Rides the Unicorn), unfolds =
through the warm relationship between a girl narrator and her grandmother. =
A sandy-haired girl tells Grandma she ought to fix the grandfather clock =
in the hall; Grandma, at work in the kitchen, says, Why... when I have so =
many other clocks telling me the time? When the girl, holding a cat in her =
arms as her grandmother mixes batter, asks, Where? The woman's leisurely =
response creates the effect of slowing down time: I can count the seconds =
by the beating of my heart. Have you ever noticed how the seconds go by =
much quicker when life is exciting? Lambert's full-bleed pastel spreads, =
lit with the muted sunlight of the English coast, depict birds in flight =
and shadows extending from a magnolia tree in full bloom as they mark the =
passing seasons. The increments of time Grandma describes grow longer and =
increasingly abstract (A lifetime, of course, you can measure in all kinds =
of ways: in birthdays/ in friends/ in what you own.../ or in what you =
remember), especially when she reaches infinity (the stars tell us that =
Time s just/ too big to fit inside any watch or clock). But the girl =
narrator brings the text full circle and back down to earth with a quiet =
joke. If the time-measurement theme becomes a bit tedious for some =
readers, Lambert's flower-dotted hillsides and affectionately drawn =
characters will keep them involved. Ages 5-8.
Copyright 2002 Reed Business Information, Inc.=20

Readingly yours,
Chris

Christine L. Evans, librarian
Library/Media Center
Barrington Middle School - Station
cevans@cusd220.lake.k12.il.us
847-381-0464

>>> Error in line 3 of LM_NET.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<

LM_NET Mailing List Home