        Wow!  So many responses so quickly....could it be that since the list
isn't as active this summer we have more time? :-)  (It sure was nice
to have some mail waiting. <grin>
        The original posting was: " I was made aware of something new (to me)
this summer, but everyone
seems to call it something different.  It plugs in to the USB port and
allows you to save files/information in place of a 3.5" disk.  I've
heard it referred to as:  memory stick, pocket drive, jump drive, etc.
Is there a generic term for this item?  (Or is it similar to Kleenex in
place of tissue?)"
        Below are the responses I've received.  I actually got one of these
things last week and am thrilled beyond words, but when talking with
others didn't know what to call it.  Now I have some suggestions thanks
to the group.
___________________

        Memory stick is for cameras. The item you're referring to is variously
called: jump drive, thumb drive, keychain drive. Not a generic name
from a
brand (like Kleenex)since they are Cruzer, Lexar, and various other
brands.
And the size is reducing "daily" <gg>  The originals were about 3" x
3/4" x
1/4"; then 2" x 3/8" x 3/4" and just yesterday I saw one that was about
1-1/2" x 1/2" x 1/16" and looked like a chip. Pretty soon they'll be so
small that we'll lose them in our pockets!
__________________
        A removeable USB flash memory drive

:^)_________________
        my husband, a computer technician, calls it an external drive.
___________________
        http://www.xpcgear.com/usbmemory.html

This site has a description of some of the "memory Keys".  At least
that's what we call them at my school in central Texas.

_______________________________
        In answer to your question, they're called all those
things depending on what each of their manufacturers
call them. I don't know of any one generic term. I've
used one for over a year now and would not give it up
if you paid me. However, they're not a memory stick,
that's something else. I call them either a thumb
drive (size of a thumb) or a pocket drive. It's
basically a portable hard drive on which you can save
files, images and even programs depending on how much
memory they have. I've used it on both Macs and
Windows PCs with no problem. No special drive or
software is needed, just a USB port. If you are
interested in getting one, watch electronic or office
supply store flyers in the Sunday paper for specials
or rebates.
____________________________
          I believe they're called "thumb drives".  My husband has seen them
at work
and has been talking about getting one for himself.  Says they're really
slick.  Here is a web page that discusses one brand:
http://www.thumbdrive.com/
_____________________________
        I am also the tech coordinator for my school.  The most generic name
is a flash drive, but they are all the same.  What you need to look for
is the size of memory storage.  The 128 mb cost about $19 on sale or
with rebates, 248 $39 and so on.  Scandisk makes then and quite a few
other brands.  They are wonderful
___________________________
        It si a bit hard to pin down.  The generic term for  portable memory is
"flash memory".  When it is used in digital cameras it is the type of
memory found in memory sticks, smart media cards etc.  When the portable
memory device comes in the form of a plug in device for a computer, the
generic term is "flash drive" or "usb drive".  And - as you say - they
are alternatively called "pocket drives, jump drives and also I have
heard the term "pen drives".  They are very handy little gizmos - much
less prone to becoming corrupt that floppy disks.  And of course they
can hold so much more information.  They can be worrisome in student
hands because of their ability to carry large amounts of information,
including viruses and computer hacking software, etc. and their
potential for cheating on tests when combined with small electronic
devices such as graphic calculators and PDAs.
_________________________
        Ha!  We got a lab of Dells and each came with one of these devices. My
computer teacher calls it a KEY DRIVE but when I've whipped mine out to
show
it off to my cousins ("You don't need a disk! Just use one of THESE!")
who think they are smarter than me (I'm a school librarian and they are
all
dr.'s and such)
they didn't know what to call it either!
No, really, my cousins are wonderful but they had never seen such a
thing.
Please post a hit!.
__________________________
        I've got one....the box that it came in used the term "flash drive."
But I
keep calling it a "jump drive."  The one I'm using cost about $36.00 and
holds the equivalent of 80 disks.  It's called a "sporty flash drive"
and it
has a key ring attachment at the top.

Here's a website for those who haven't seen one:
http://www.usbflashdrive.org/

The advantage is that it keeps me from hauling a ton of disks around
with
me.  I have mine on a key ring that allows me to keep it attached
inside my
purse (pocket)--not with my keys but on a separate key ring.  When I
need to
download / upload information, I disconnect the key ring from inside my
purse and plug the jump drive in to the USB port.  I love the portable
aspects.

Nancy Voltmer
Librarian
Hiatt Middle School