I need some ideas of ways to teach my teachers how to use our online
databases.  Specifically, I need ideas for WHY physical education teachers
and math teachers might want to use databases with their students?

What types of lessons would be taught with the databases and why would the
databases be valuable to these teachers?

Our scenario becomes more unique in that we are a private school that does
not follow the state's teaching curriculum / guidelines, so although we do
have an outstanding program in both areas, the curriculum isn't something
that I can access (in fact, the curriculum is tightly guarded by many of our
teachers...I don't know why...I've been working on this for two years and I
have managed to only have access to one area right now...the English
department which is now "opening their arms" to the library's resources and
ideas.  I think they are afraid I'll try to change something....?)

I will be doing a "train the trainer" session with different groups next
week.  These trainers will then break into groups to share what they have
learned with other teachers in their departments during our in-service days.
I can easily figure out some lessons for other subjects (history, English,
art, science, etc.) but those areas where research doesn't involve the use
of the library or the library resources are more difficult (probably because
they haven't been library users).

I will be doing an overview of "health-related" issues with the PE teachers
because they do teach health, but how can I incorporate sports or other
PE-related topics into the mix?   In addition, what ideas for database
lesson could be used with math for grades
K-12?

Any subject / curriculum ideas that you can think of and why they should be
addressed through the use of the databases will be helpful!

(By the way, the database training for the entire teaching staff will be
preceded by an in-service in Big 6 Research Skills, so I'm hoping that the
teachers will see how research can be done and then realize what is
available for research.)

If you need to know what databases we're using in order to determine what
can be taught, you may visit our library website at:
http://faculty.trinityvalleyschool.org/library/page3.html

This website will be available until Monday afternoon when I take it down to
upload my new website.  The databases will basically remain the same
(although we have added 10 more, but none are math or physical education
specific).

Thanks!

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian