I suggest 'first chapter'. Author should have a good hook at the end to =
stimulate further reading. It's those ends of chapters that
make you say 'just a couple more pages before turning out the light'.=20

It sometimes helps to suggest 'go sit on a couch and read the first =
paragraph or two'. Lot more comfortable, out of melee around the
shelves, and gets them temporarily out of the roaming, grabbing, and =
stuffing back on shelf mode.

Also, I'll override the checkout limit if kid is tending to reread or =
wants to read outside of what teacher is asking for. For the
rereading kids, that gives them their comfort zone and still provides a =
way to stretch, and for kids that want to read other stuff
it gives them opportunity to read what they want and still get what =
teacher wants.=20

Robert Eiffert, Librarian
Pacific Middle School
Beiffert at egreen wednet edu
Beiffert at Comcast net

Cheryl Skiles wrote:
>         I love Nancy Perl's rule of 50 to use when abandoning books! =
What do you
> suggest to your students? I'm working with the 3rd-5th grade teachers =
in
> my building on strategies for choosing good books and would like to
> suggest a number of pages to read before moving on to something else.
> Fifty pages seems like a lot to read before abandoning when many of =
the
> books they're reading are 250 pages or less.

---
=20