The way that you describe is how most librarians were taught to "keep wish
lists"---back in the day (1980's for me---).  The problem with that method
(and the clipping of the journals with paperclips to mark those books that
you want to order) is that there are slips of paper all over the place
during the year.

A much better way that I have used in the past several years is to review
the journals and then use Follett's Titlewave program to create my lists.
After you create your account (which basically keeps your lists on their
system for several years--I have many lists), you can then refer to them for
purchasing later (even if you choose not to use Follett).  Another vendor
that provides this service is Mackin.

The only drawbacks are those books that cannot be found through Titlewave.
I have several titles that my government and history teachers ask for that
aren't on Titlewave.  I then go to Amazon.com and create my "Wish List" of
books that I would like to purchase.  This (again) allows me to keep lists
of materials that I can either order through Amazon (or print out) to take
to another vendor or bookstore for purchase.

There are actually many different online bookstores and vendors that now
allow you to create lists and keep them in their systems.  To make things
less confusing, I would stay with one or two vendors and make sure that you
keep passwords and access information private.  Maintain your lists and
check to see if anything has "disappeared" from the lists--gone out of
print.  If this happens, the book may still be listed, but not with that
vendor.  You may then be able to move to another online vendor to locate the
title if you still want to order it at a later date.

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS /US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX
sbrisco021@charter.net