Thanks to everyone who provided such quick and helpful responses to my
request for pictures of faces from around the world. Here's the HIT:

1) Try any catalog, such as JCPenney, Sears, or especially toy catalogs
this time of year.  They make a concerted effort to include every
possible race/nationality/ability.  While they may not be in traditional
dress, their faces would be clearly visible and probably quite
expressive, too!

2) Go to Google.  Choose Images.  Type in children, multicultural.
You
wiill get plenty.

3) We have the 1996 edition of a book which is published annually
called
"The state of the world's children".  This book is in black and white,
and the pictures tend to be of children living in poverty or wartime
situations, but they are journalistic quality and very evocative.

4) Can you find a copy of the books "Material World" and the sequel
"Women
in the Material World?"  Each of the families represented have
children.
They are depicted as they are!  Not cleaned up and in their normal
native attire.

5) There is a book called "faces" by Shelley Rotner and Ken Kreisler
that might be what you are looking for.

6) Children Just Like Me by Barnabas and Anabel Kindersley (DK, 1995)
has
pictures of kids from many countries.  The book is oversized, so the
faces of the kids are pretty big in many cases.  Maybe you can find
this
book at a public library.  Another possibility (but with fewer
nationalities) is Wake Up, World!  A Day in the Life of Children
Around
the World (Holt 1999) by Hollyer.

7) Try calendars.  If you have any connection to someone in the Peace
Corps, they have had some great ones in the past.

8) What about People by Peter Sis

Again, thank you!

Peg

Peg Alexander, MLIS
Librarian
Muskegon Catholic Central High School/Middle School
Muskegon, MI
malexand@muskegon-cath.pvt.k12.mi.us

>>> MARGARET ALEXANDER <MALEXAND@MUSKEGON-CATH.PVT.K12.MI.US> 12/2/2004
10:34:04 AM >>>
Hi Folks,

Our middle school art teacher asked me the best way to find pictures
of
faces of people from around the world - - preferably children's faces.

Any book or website suggestions? I've pretty much spent the morning
searching public library catalogs and the Internet, but I have not
found
much that is usable for middle school students.

Thanks,