We are in our third year of participation in the California Young Reader
Medal program.  The first year we had 70 (out of 1100) or so kids
participate.  Last year we had 125.  In those years I went around and
gave presentations to all of the English classes and then kids could
come sign-up in the library when I had finished all of the presentations
(about 10 days).  The day of sign-ups there was a pretty good sized
crowd in the library signing up and getting books-- fun but stressful
for me.  This year, on a whim, I decided to bring books with me to the
classes and let kids sign-up then and there and get a book right away.
I also decided to have my TAs deliver books to classes for kids on the
waiting list.  I figured I could hit 150 students this year and I
wouldn't have that rush the first morning.  I already have 250 kids
signed up and I am only half way done with the presentations.  I had 120
copies of the jr. high and young adult nominees on Monday.  They were
gone by Wednesday morning.  I had 85 more copies overnighted by Baker
and Taylor and those are gone.  I have about 50 kids on waiting lists
for books and am trying to get the district to rush another purchase
order.  I am stunned by the response.  I may end up with 500 kids
participating.  I know that about half of them will not read all three
nominees but If they read even 1 book we're already ahead of the game.

The first class I visited was our senior at-risk English class.  Over
half of them signed up and received a book.  Most of them have the same
government class 3rd period, our SSR period.  The government teacher
said it was the first day all year he hasn't had discipline problems
during SSR.  He was shocked that most of the kids were actually reading.

I never realized that my procedures for CYRM were actually discouraging
the kids who need reading the most from participating.  The combination
of the book talk and immediate access to the books was powerful enough
to get even non-readers to open a book (duh!- library science 101).  I
had always thought that I was doing a bang-up job encouraging reading
here but now I am not so sure.  Such a simple change in what I do has
had such a huge effect on the kids.  As soon as I recover from 10 days
of non-stop book talks I am going to look at all of my procedures and
find ways to increase student access to books.  I am also going to find
ways to do more frequent book talks in classrooms so I can put books in
the kids hands.  And next year I will have a lot more CYRM books on hand.
--
----
Tony Doyle, Librarian