I think the procedure should depend on the guidelines set by the school
librarian (No one knows all of our hidden duties.  We all know that we  "just sit
around and stamp books.") or the library advisory committee.  The  guidelines
should consider the needs of the student population.  My  situation is as
follows: Our middle school has approximately 680 students, 41%  of which receive
special education services, 97% low-income, at-risk, and less  than 10%
enrolled in the gifted and talented program.  More than half of  the students are
below grade level.  They come to me from the elementary  schools with very little
information literacy skills.  I have no  clerk.

For book check-out our  8th graders come on their own, in small  groups, or
as whole classes.  When they come as whole classes, the teacher  must remain
with the class.  That way, off-task behavior is the  responsibility of the
teacher and students.  Sometimes the classes prefer  to remain in the library to
read silently, share (not so silently), and do  more browsing after they have
checked out books.  They prefer the  sofa, soft chairs, and tables in the
library to their classroom desks. Since at  my campus, collaboration is a low
priority for the teachers, I  welcome students staying in the library, even if  IS
just to read  until the bell sounds.  As long as the behavior is appropriate,
the classes  can remain.  The teachers understand that if the students get
off-task the  class is asked to return to their classroom.  As long as the
students are  guided by their classroom teacher , I can continue to complete my
work.

It would be interesting to read what works for others.  Please post  replies.

Thanks!
Velda Hunter
Librarian
Ryan MS