I do 6-8 MS, with 1100 kids. Flex scheduled, so classes come for regular book
checkout or booktalks with irregular schedules (some
teachers may prefer a specific day, but may not come for 2 or 3 weeks). Actually,
this is the third MS school I've been in, one was
about 500 kids, 6th grade on regular schedule, 7 and 8 on flex, and no assistant or
student aides.

For all the classes, I consider that I am one of the teachers of that class when
they are here. It is time for the 'teacher hat'. It
is an important contact time for me as a teacher, and for the program.

Even if I'm not doing a booktalk, I'll usually have pulled some books that fit,
based on conversation with the classroom teacher.
That may be some genre books, maybe some popular ones, maybe some new ones, maybe
some overlooked ones. And I'm actively promoting
reader's advisory while that class is in the library.

Some teachers come at beginning of the period, some come 1/2 or 2/3 way through
period. Some leave before bell, some stay to end of
period. And some that stay the whole period have given their class clear
expectations of activities (find book, read, write in
response journals) and behavior, some spend the period walking around and
'shushing' (and, of course, some classes need different
approaches). And, of course, sometimes the sub plan is 'take kids to library'.

For the classes that spend the whole period, some rules that seem to work best:
specific limit to number of kids per table (usually 2 or 3),
stay in main reading area (we have a couch area, and a couple of other corners not
as easily monitored),
not computer time,
limit checkout time to a specific slot (after 15 minutes of looking, 5 for
checkout, then read or use the last five minutes for
checkout),
kids make choice where/who to sit with, but teacher can override if not on-task,
And possibly most important: Teacher modeling the expected behaviors, helping with
selection, interacting with kids, not grading,
not chatting with whoever walks through.

I encourage kids to choose 3 or 4 books, sit down and try them out. Better chance
of one grabbing them, especially since a table
winds up with 10 or so choices so kids can swap.

Robert Eiffert, Librarian
Pacific Middle School, Vancouver WA
Pac.egreen.wednet.edu/library
Beiffert at egreen wednet edu