I searched on "long URLs" in the NoodleTools Knowledge Base (free) and got:
http://www.noodletools.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=22&c=3 .

You can use the MLA Database Wizard (also free) to see if you should use the
search page or a persistent URL for any subscription service.

Debbie Abilock
NoodleTools/NoodleTeach
debbie@noodletools.com
http://www.noodletools.com/

"The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we
behave when we don't know what to do."
--- John HoltRegarding Steve's question about tinyurl and citations. I don't
think I
have ever seen that as an APA option (don't use MLA but they tend to be
less up to date with technololgy than APA). However, APA does make it
clear that you do not need to, and indeed should not, give the entire
long address with all the numbers, symbols, etc. Just give the
parent/main page site. Assume that the researcher has enough sense to
get to the document via links just as did the writer. I know I prefer
that.--Mary Ann

Steven Patnode wrote:

> Thanks, Vaneesa, and this reminds me of a question I've had since  first
> hearing of tinyurl...
> Has anyone allowed students to change long URL's into tinyurl's
> to use in their citations?  From time to time they are faced with  endless
> URL's to write down on notecards and this would seem to be an  alternative
> for them to save time and frustration.  But is that technically
incorrect?

> Thanks,
> Steve
>

> Steve  Patnode
> Grades 7-12 SLMS
> Chazy Central Rural School
> Chazy, NY  12921
> sun85@aol.com

> All LM_NET postings are protected by copyright law.
> LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
> Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
> EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://elann.biglist.com/el-announce/
> LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html