Before the year ends...

I apologize for this long overdue HIT on books that help deal with the death of a
student.
(A 6th grader who collapsed and died during PE class prompted my inquiry. Your
were very helpful.  Thank you & may 2005 be a happy year for all!)

**For the attachment listed at the end, email the author directly.
"Mick Harte was here" by Barbara Park
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson,
On my Honor by Marion Dane Bauer
Taste of Blackberries by Doris Buchanan Smith.

We recieved books from the Dougy Foundation (The National Center for Grieving
Children & Families)
 There was a group of six paperbacks, not more than 75 pages each, for about
$6.00.
 We had a grant, so that may be the reduction in price.

The Fall of Freddie the Leaf by Brulia (sp?)
Oregon by Rathmann (not specifically about death but about saying goodbye)

"Nadia the Willful" by Sue Alexander is a beautiful story about loss and
celebrating life.

Chicken Soup the the Kid's;Canfield,Jack (Plus 4-5 others from this series)
The Empty Room; DeVita, Elizabeth
How to survive the loss of a sibling; Akner, Lois
When your loved one is dying; Grollman, earl
Death and the family; Pincus, Lily
Death: the final stage; kbler-Ross, Elisabeth
The lively shadow; Murray, Donald
Guiding your child through...; Emswiler, Mary Ann
Questions and answers...K bler-Foss, Elisabeth
Living with death and dying; K bler-Ross, Elisabeth
Necessary Losses; Viorst, Judith
Just a note to say--- Isaacs, Florence
I had a friend named Pete; Chon, Janice
Why do people die?; MacGregor, Cynthia
Talking with children about death; Trozzi, Maria
The grieving child; Fitzgerald, Helen
Bereaved children; Grollman, Earl
Straight talk about death; Grollman, Earl
When a friend dies; Gootman, Marilyn
Coping with grief; Buckingham, Robert
Death is hard to live with; Mack, Stanley
Straight talk about death; DiGiulio, Robert
Teenagers face to face with death; Gravelle, Karen
Loss: understanding...Kuehn, Eileen
Death: coping with ... Kuehn, Eileen
Part of me died too: Fry, Virginia

 What on Earth Do you Do When Someone Dies? by Travor RomainPublished by Free
Spirit isbn: 1575420554

If Nathan Were Here - Mary Bahr Fritz (picture)
Rudi's Pond - Eve Bunting (picture)

I would suggest Tear Soup.
 "Jasper's Day" by
Marjorie Blain Parker, ill. by Janet Wilson. [ISBN:1-55074-957-9]

If Nathan Were Here by Mary Bahr Fritts (for younger Grade 1, 2, 3  readers) and
Flying Solo by Ralph J. Fletcher  and
Mick Harte Was Here by Barbara Park for your grades 4, 5 & 6.

Olive's Ocean by Kevin Henkes

**I am attaching the booklist I've prepared for my college class in Children's
Literature.  However, books such as What on Earth Do You Do When Someone
Dies? By Trevor Romain (gentle picture book which explains things in
non-religious terms that children can understand.).  I also like Lifetimes,
by Brian Mellonie, and illus. by Robert Ingpen.  It discusses life and Lecturer,
School of Information
University of Texas at Austin
sluken@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

John Wolfgang, LMS