I wish to add my two cents worth to this -  it does come down to budget
and the amount of use they will get for the print version.
Last year we bought our first set of new encyclopedias (our previous
editions had been very old hand me downs from other schools who had
upgraded) - World Book and Britannica, I then did a number of activities
which introduced these resources to the kids and made them aware of what
they could find and where. We also subscribed to Britannica online and
Websterworld (Australian based) and again it was teaching the students
how to use these instruments of information. At the end of it we did a
mini competition  - print vs online - same 10 questions were given to
teams of four, who then split into two to race each other on who could
find the answers first. The kids who were sure that the online version
would give the answers the quickest were surprised to find the print
version the quickest to find the answers.

Our print encyclopedias are used quite alot, (and more as the kids learn
how to use them) but as Barbara says - it is the currency of the print
which is hard to keep up with and this is where online outshines by far
the print versions.

Cheers
Dianne McKenzie
Australian International School Hong Kong
diminhk@pacific.net.hk