We are interviewing for a new middle school principal next week and we =
hope to make a final decision before the end of March.  This new person =
won't begin until the summer (my favorite time to work...ha!) but I want =
to plan something now.

I have read the resumes, letters of recommendations and voiced my =
concerns and choices, and we will meet each candidate face-to-face next =
week for further interviews.  However, regardless of which person is =
chosen I would like to prepare a "survival basket of resources" for the =
new administrator---by that I mean, I want to prepare a "welcome basket" =
of resources, services, etc., that the library offers to person.

Although I have done this type of thing for new teachers (offered them =
my services, shared some resources relating to their subject, etc.), I =
want to do something a little more "administrative" for the new =
principal.   What are your suggestions for some great ideas to "catch a =
principal" and gain their support for the library and information =
literacy programs?  (I don't want to begin preaching to this person =
about what areas need to be corrected through administrative support or =
the impact studies done by Lance, but I would like to eventually be able =
to offer these things as evidence of what makes great libraries =
great...just later.....in the meantime, what would be your suggestions =
for a survival basket for a new principal?  The basket should include =
library-related materials and services but also draw this person to find =
out more about the library and its services.   ---and don't worry, I =
will be one of the first at his / her office door each week to discuss =
plans for information literacy, collabortion, etc...I just need =
something to "buffer" the shock of an assertive librarian, I guess. =20

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions in advance!

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX
sbrisco021@charter.net